How to identify Bambusa tuldoides and tulda?

Moderator: needmore

Mimulus59
Location info: 0

How to identify Bambusa tuldoides and tulda?

Post by Mimulus59 »

Please help if you can.
I special ordered a Bambusa tuldoides thru my nursery, who says they got it from a bamboo specialty grower. It had three skinny shoots, about 1/2 to 1/3" when I got it. It soon sent up a new shoot which was only slightly larger, and then the latest shoot is almost double the size of the others, over 1 " diameter and has a very smooth, tight culm sheath with vertical cream/white stripes, almost no auriculs and definitely not furry. All of the shoots have come up at an angle, rather than straight. The culms nodes have one large side branch and then two smaller going out at about 90 degrees to each side, all almost horizontal to the culm. Then some nodes have a bunch of short, skinny branch lets going off at all weird angles. I am suspecting this is not tuldoides. Can anyone tell me or direct me to a website that has a detailed description of identifying tuldoides? I can't seem to find any details on the web. Or, anyone have an idea of what this is? Those stripes on the culm sheaths are pretty distinctive. Culms are round so I know it isn't a Phylostachys.

Also, I got an unidentified bamboo which the person thinks may be Bambusa tulda. Looking for details on how to identify that one too.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: How to identify Bambusa tuldoides and tulda?

Post by needmore »

You probably know this but even with the striping the juvenile shoots may betray proper ID. Did you check the photo database here? There are 4 pages of tuldoides photos.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Glen

Re: How to identify Bambusa tuldoides and tulda?

Post by Glen »