Sorry but another id please

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Sorry but another id please

Post by Deane »

Some time ago I asked for a id on a bamboo and people was thinking Phyllostachys bissetii but sure,well I notice to day that the newest culms are almost black on the side that gets most sun with a dark red at the bottom ,the older culm are olive green
Attachments
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
Deane

Re: Sorry but another id please

Post by Deane »

After some research I am thinking Phyllostachys violascens what's your thoughts ?
Markj

Post by Markj »

Are the new culms glossy smooth or textured/rough in any way :?:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
BigNose

Post by BigNose »

Deane
Hi again! :)
Having seen your bamboo first hand, I can categorically say 100% that it is not Violascens!
Urban Jungle near Norwich has a nice big Violascens growing there, you should go and have a look at that for reference
Feel the slightly coarse texture of the leaves on Violascens, the little hairs around the leaf bases (auricles) aswell as the more obvious striping of the canes etc.
When I get 5 mins I will also email you those photos of Iridescens! ;)
cheers
Ed
Deane

Post by Deane »

BigNose wrote:Deane
Having seen your bamboo first hand, I can categorically say 100% that it is not Violascens!
Urban Jungle near Norwich has a nice big Violascens growing there, you should go and have a look at that for reference
Feel the slightly coarse texture of the leaves on Violascens, the little hairs around the leaf bases (auricles) aswell as the more obvious striping of the canes etc.
cheers
Ed
Hi Ed nice to see you on here ,funny you say about urban jungle as that is where the person I got it from said it come from originally ,it does fit with some of the characteristics of violascens (Culms blackish-violet at first, sometimes striped with violet. Sheaths deep purple.) as you saw the new culms are almost black where the sun gets them ,I wish I could get to the bottom of this bamboo species ,yeah it would be nice to see them photos
Deane

Post by Deane »

Markj wrote:Are the new culms glossy smooth or textured/rough in any way :?:
I think the culms are smooth with a powdery ring on the nodes
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Deane wrote:
BigNose wrote:Deane
cheers
Ed
Hi Ed nice to see you on here ,funny you say about urban jungle as that is where the person I got it from said it come from originally ,it does fit with some of the characteristics of violascens (Culms blackish-violet at first, sometimes striped with violet. Sheaths deep purple.) as you saw the new culms are almost black where the sun gets them ,I wish I could get to the bottom of this bamboo species ,yeah it would be nice to see them photos

I'd ignore the color of the new culms for now, I've had Yellow Groove culms start out nearly black.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks needmore I will wait to spring shoots come up
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

And, as my Spectabilis, dark green. Combined with sunburn, dark brown. Turned into olive green and mellow yellow later on during winter and the next season.