Is this real bamboo or did I just get scammed?

Moderator: needmore

Ren_Kagome
Location info: 0

Is this real bamboo or did I just get scammed?

Post by Ren_Kagome »

Sup ya'll! so I have a little worry to tell you guys. I bought these black bamboo seeds from an online shop and planted them. it didn't take long for them to start growing. They've been growing for about 4 months now, but to be honest, I'm kinda worried if this thing that I'm growing, still is bamboo or is it somekind of other similar thing. To be honest I don't know what black bamboo looks like when it's very young and I have little doubts if my bamboo is the right stuff. So I'm gonna leave it for you professionals to tell me, if this is the right stuff. I'l leave some pictures of what it looks right now.
Here's a link to the photos: http://bamboogrower.deviantart.com/gallery/
I hope you guys can help me and I won't have to go to some other Forum to ask this.

Thnx in advance!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Is this real bamboo or did I just get scammed?

Post by needmore »

Yes, you were misled, that is not bamboo.

BTW - It is rare that any black bamboo seed will produce black bamboo, possible but most will be green. If you want black bamboo best to buy plants.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

There are many scammers that will sell you random grass seeds instead of bamboo. Sometimes, you do get bamboo seeds, but they fail to mention it's just a regular Moso or some tropical bamboo seeds from India.

Growing bamboo from seed is a lottery. It begins with acquiring the seeds when you often have no idea about the seeds real origin, not to mention that it's nearly impossible to ID the bamboo variety. Somewhere at the time when you can confirm that the bamboo is what the seller has told you, the second gambling occurs - will it have it's mo(fa)ther's culm or leaves, will it behave aggressive or rather weak and slow to grow,... Roughly 1 out of 10 seedlings reaches maturity as a bamboo worth growing. Some die off right after they start growing, others keep up until first winter or summer. Some show special characteristics like different culm or leaf variegation, some (well, most of them) will show nothing but regular green form.

Is it worth trying?

I'd say it is! I've grown quite a few different bamboo seedlings now, and I can tell you first hand, there's nothing more rewarding than seeing one of your tiny little seedlings starting to shape into an aggressive runner. Or a tiny little clumper that outperforms (height-wise) your fast growing Spectabilis, despite being grown in marginal zone with frost damage each year. I love it. :mrgreen:
Ren_Kagome

Post by Ren_Kagome »

wait wait wait! So you guys are saying that this isn't bamboo at all or this just isn't black bamboo? because honestly I don't care if this isn't black bamboo, I just want to be sure that it is bamboo. also I would be very happy if you guys could tell me where I could get real bamboo seeds or how much do they cost.

Btw, Thnx for letting me know what I'm truly growing.
Ren_Kagome

Post by Ren_Kagome »

needmore wrote:Yes, you were misled, that is not bamboo.

BTW - It is rare that any black bamboo seed will produce black bamboo, possible but most will be green. If you want black bamboo best to buy plants.
Thnx for telling me that what I'm growing, is not bamboo. I'm kinda wondering know, what plant could this be. some of them grew a head of grain to the top.
Anyways, I would be very thankful if you could tell me, where can I get real bamboo seeds. I doesn't have to be black bamboo. I'd be very happy with Moso Bamboo aswell but I just want to grow some. if you don't know where to buy some, it'd be great if you could tell me how much would they cost.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

If you are wanting to go on the cheap, seeds might be a viable option, but with how hit or miss they are and the time invested/wasted it is likely a much better idea do get an already developed young bamboo division. Even if you did manage to get a good seed it would likely take twice as long just to reach maturity and you likely couldnt even be certain of the type. There are several places to order divisions online, just make sure they are a reputable organization.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Ren_Kagome

Post by Ren_Kagome »

Thnx for advise wolfedg, but I think I'm still going for the seeds
You see, my passion, my love for bamboo is just too big to buy a plant. I know it's not the best way but I just have to.
so yeah, I'm still going with the seed idea, but thanx anyways. I will throw away all my fake bamboo and I'll plant the real seeds. I've already ordered them and I'm pretty sure their real.