ok, im an idiot. see above posts
Attachments
DSC_0463 (1).JPG
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: arrrrggggg!

Post by needmore »

Phy aurea also does this, usually only on the lowest portion of the culm then it 'normals' out. To say for sure you'd need to look at the overall grove to see the form, how many culms are doing this and how high up the culm does this go. My guess is that it is aurea but that is only a guess.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
vindiesel.zmaj

Post by vindiesel.zmaj »

I agree. Aurea tends to do this, but if that culm is more than 2.5inch thick, it's not aurea...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Without further pictures, ideally with shoots, it is really hard to tell.
It is a lot more likely to be aurea as pubescens heterocycla is much rarer.

So far all aurea I've seen hasn't made such a regular pattern even if it was quite large (I saw some in Lisbon with at least 1.5 - 2 inch diameter culms but the congested internodes were highly irregular) but I guess there can be quite some variance.

We'll see, maybe JMiehm can post more pictures and maybe also some of shoots next year to clear things up.
JMiehm

Post by JMiehm »

Thanks for the info! It was a large Grove. Only a few culms were like this, and yes only on the bottom 2 feet. I'm new to the bamboo world. Trying to ID the plants I come across is so difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
needmore

Post by needmore »

Aurea is one of the few bamboo that you can generally ID a grove of w/o active shooting. The look in your photo is quite nice for aurea but some culms can look like that. When aurea is producing culms like that I'd expect other culms in the grove will have distortions as well but not tortoise shell like so much, rather round like a stack of rings - a natural hand grip. Younger culms also can have 'thickness' greater than the diameter of the culm at the nodes.
JMiehm

Post by JMiehm »

needmore wrote:Aurea is one of the few bamboo that you can generally ID a grove of w/o active shooting. The look in your photo is quite nice for aurea but some culms can look like that. When aurea is producing culms like that I'd expect other culms in the grove will have distortions as well but not tortoise shell like so much, rather round like a stack of rings - a natural hand grip. Younger culms also can have 'thickness' greater than the diameter of the culm at the nodes.
I discovered that grove beside an abandoned house in central North Carolina. It was impressive! I have become a sort of bamboo pack rat. I love searching for "forgotten" bamboo growing in random places. Would acquiring a few rhizomes be worth my time? I live in Tacoma, WA.

needmore

Post by needmore »

If indeed it is aurea then I am confident that you can find some closer to home.
JMiehm

Post by JMiehm »

I know, I just like digging and transplanting. Transportation is not a problem (cargo transport aircraft). I'm weird like that.

philippe smets

Post by philippe smets »

we would like to say aurea but the white ring on the node makes me think lots of kikko.

Have you got a picture of the nodes higher on the culms and a picture of the leaves ?

thank you

Phil