Is this Yellow Groove Bamboo?

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Is this Yellow Groove Bamboo?

Post by Tarzanus »

Like I said, don't be too hasty when you draw conclusions based on photos you find on the internet. Seedlings can be quite different even if you don't consider they can grow in completely different conditions. Some will have thinner longer leaves, some start with large leaves, others will start with small leaves and then take off later. I have them under LED lights which made them grow fast and none of their internodes got elongated. In low light conditions, they can search for light and get thin and tall while my seedlings or any seedlings grown under strong light conditions, will be more robust. At this stage, all Phylostachys bamboos look roughly the same. At 3 months+ or so, you can start seeing difference between Moso and other, smaller Phyllos with some imagination, because Moso will make really large leaves that are not usually present on other bamboo seedlings. If you have no idea about what seedlings you have, you can not determine if you have Moso or not, you can just have a hunch. When you grow enough bamboos, although you can often be correct, it's still just a wild guess.

Grow them until they start running. My Luteosulcata seedling under strong LED grow light began running between 3 to 5 months. I remember seeing first funky horizontal shoots at around 3 months, then right before it was 5 months old it exploded. (https://cold-hardy.com/phyllostachys-ar ... -5-months/) When they start running, their growth will stop for a while. At that point, it will stop shooting every month or two and will rather build up the rhizome mass around it. The following spring, you can expect major upsize. Especially if you plant it outside in the open with abundance of light and if you take care of winter protection.
Ren_Kagome
Location info: 0

Re: Is this Yellow Groove Bamboo?

Post by Ren_Kagome »

Huh, neat. Didn't think that they might look different even though they're the same species, but I suppose considering that they are being grown in different conditions, it does explain the seedlings difference.
It be also good to know, how old do they have to be, until I can plant them outside? Considering the cold winter, should I let them grow in a pot for a year or can I plant them outside already this year?