Help identifying some bamboo to use as privacy hedge

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Help identifying some bamboo to use as privacy hedge

Post by Alan_L »

To my note about shooting -- and to confirm what Brad said -- my rubro planting has a few tiny shoots coming up right now, clearly from small rhizome pieces (not the main plant). The main shoots have not started yet. So the juvenile shoots are earlier.
bamboo_bob
Location info: 0

Post by bamboo_bob »

Awesome. Thank you all for help with the ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bamboo_bob

Post by bamboo_bob »

Just thought I’d give a 1.5 year update. Shooting is just about done and this stuff absolutely killed it. Had like 10 shoots come up over 20 feet and more than I cared to count in all. Seems like the straw/horse manure combo really did it. The stuff in back of the house didn’t do nearly as good, so I just mulched it up really good and will be giving it a second dose of fertilizer this summer.

UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

That's looks very nice. And I'm glad to see I was correct in my id guess from the first post. I am curious, how are you controlling it in that space?
bamboo_bob

Post by bamboo_bob »

The bed is elevated a few inches and I dug a couple inch trench all the way around it. Last July and August the rhizomes were popping out like mad so I would just pull them up and lay them back in the bed redirected to an empty spot. From like October on I haven’t seen any rhizomes escape. So it should be close to time to start watching again.