Need ID on bamboo from missouri?

Moderator: needmore

Fish Gary
Location info: 0

Need ID on bamboo from missouri?

Post by Fish Gary »

New to the forum! Have had this bamboo for about 3 years. It came from the St. Louis area. Is it native or not?

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Need ID on bamboo from missouri?

Post by needmore »

Native to China I think, not the US for sure, can't quite see from the photos but it looks like Phyllostachys aureosulcata. To confirm look at prior years culms and see if the is a yellow stripe in between the brances in a groove and it will jump from one side to the other. Next grasp the culm and slide your hand up, it should be rough.

If none of the above is accurate for yours we need to start over!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
SteveFromBambooWorld

Post by SteveFromBambooWorld »

yea I agree with needmore. It's definitely not a native species. It looks like P. aureosulcata to me as well. If it does not have a yellow stripe in the sulcus groove then for me the next best pick given the pictures would be P. aureosulcata 'Harbin'.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I think it' safe to say it's Phyllostachys. I would not rule out aurea or any other Phyllo. I think that it's way too much branched out all the way down to the bottom to be aureosulcta. Aurea does that for example, aureosulcata usually not. Well, checking the other photo with larger shoots, it does seem it doesn't branch that much... But they do seem too glossy to be yellow groove. What do the culms look like, is their surface rough, almost like a sandpaper? Do you have any photo of the shoots while they were still smaller?

Nodes also seem to be very short in the beginning and they elongate further on. That can be caused by bad weather conditions (drought or cold during shooting) but I didn't yet see anything that drastic on aureosulcata bamboo family. Here and there a culm that almost aborted starts growing back, but there are just too many on that photo. Or not?
My guess is, it could be anything. :mrgreen:
Fish Gary

Post by Fish Gary »

Thanks so much for the comments! It does have a definite groove on the bamboo. Sorry no previous photos of the culms. They are pretty much starting to get much taller now. So sounds like Phyllostachys. So I'm guessing this is a good bamboo to have?

I only have a couple other photos which I will post in the Growing Bamboo forum.
dependable

Post by dependable »

It probably is P aureosulcata aka yellow groove bamboo, as mentioned above. The darkened new shoots are probably cause by chilly temps during shooting.

It is a very nice and versatile running bamboo. It makes a good screen or pruned into a specimen grove. There are plenty of pictures of mature plants elsewhere on this forum.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Since you say you got it from St. Louis, I'd agree with the "Yellow Groove" ID -- if you see an established bamboo grove in the area it's 80% (or more) guess that it's Yellow Groove without even seeing it. :D

When you ask if it's a good one to have, well, it depends upon what you want it to do and where it's planted. Please keep in mind that in our Missouri summers the rhizomes can grow 15'-20' in a single year, so keep it from spreading into neighbors' yards.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Also was looking at your Photobucket images -- what's the deal with all the snakes?! :shock: :lol:

I love snakes but don't know how I'd do with 5 at once. :lol:
Fish Gary

Post by Fish Gary »

Thanks for the comments!

Alan_L, I only use photobucket for my snake and sometimes fish photos. It is a fun hobby called herping. Hope that explained all the snake pics! :lol: