Running or clumping bamboo?

Moderator: needmore

preason66
Location info: 0

Running or clumping bamboo?

Post by preason66 »

Hello all,

Just joined this forum and am hoping to become a knowledgeable bamboo grower over time :D

I'm considering purchasing some bamboo from a seller on Craigslist and would like to know if it is running or clumping (I am only interested in the latter).

Can anyone help me identify which this is?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/6537542184.html

Thank you!

Eli
wolfedg

Re: Running or clumping bamboo?

Post by wolfedg »

Just going by pic #1 and #9 I would lean towards Phyllostachys Aureosulcata(Runner), but there are other possible species that could have similar culms. After looking at the rest of the pics notably #2 and #6 though, I find I am confused, unless perhaps there are multiple species in these pictures?? The branching and stature of some of the other pictures is 'to my very amature eyes' not consistent with a Phyllostachys and could be something completely different.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
preason66

Post by preason66 »

wolfedg wrote:Just going by pic #1 and #9 I would lean towards Phyllostachys Aureosulcata(Runner), but there are other possible species that could have similar culms. After looking at the rest of the pics notably #2 and #6 though, I find I am confused, unless perhaps there are multiple species in these pictures?? The branching and stature of some of the other pictures is 'to my very amature eyes' not consistent with a Phyllostachys and could be something completely different.
Thanks very much for your response! Given that the seller has no idea what they have growing on their property it's certainly possible that there are more than 1 variety in the photos. Thanks for taking a look!
preason66

Post by preason66 »

Thanks for taking a look! The seller has no idea what they have growing on their property and thus it could be that there are more than 1 variety in the photos. Thanks!
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I would rule out aureosulcata. Based on photos, culm texture is smooth, aureosulcata is fairly rough. The second thing is - aureosulcata doesn't have branches on lower nodes, at least not at that size. Branches seem Phyllostachys, but on several photos there seem to be more than two. Could happen if bamboo was trimmed or had that branch broken (damaged).

I would not rule out there are two bamboos in that jungle. One has yellow culms and doesn't seem to have the smooth culm surface. Could be from aureosulcata clan, impossible to tell without more photos. Could be that those are older culms that aged to yellow colour - most Phyllostachys do that. And not only Phyllos...
Glen

Post by Glen »

preason66 wrote:Hello all,

Just joined this forum and am hoping to become a knowledgeable bamboo grower over time :D

I'm considering purchasing some bamboo from a seller on Craigslist and would like to know if it is running or clumping (I am only interested in the latter).

Can anyone help me identify which this is?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/6537542184.html

Thank you!

Eli
There are at least two species there. My best guess, given the photographs provided:
1. Phyllostachys aureosulcata
2. Pseudosasa japonica

Both of these are running types.

If you are just getting started, I recommend finding a knowledgeable bamboo person in your area, and meeting with them. They can show you examples of different types, and make sure that you have realistic expectations, before spending money.

Many people hear about bamboo, get excited, spend money and time on the wrong thing, get burned out, and stop growing bamboo. Always do your research before investing significant money and time.

Another caution: Bamboo is famous for being incorrectly identified and sold. Always buy from a serious collector who knows their plants, or a reputable nursery. It may be years before you can identify your plants, and if they are not what you want, you will have lost a lot of time in getting your plants established. It is worth paying more up front, if you increase your odds of getting what you want the first time.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Agree with Glen on 2 species second being Ps japonica 1st a Phyllostachys of some type both running forms.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I don't think it can be pseudosasa japonica. Leaves not large enough, culm sheaths way too short and not persistent. P japonica holds sheaths for at least two years, usually longer (until removed).
preason66

Post by preason66 »

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses! I have set up an appointment with a professional bamboo nursery in my area and will begin with this, rather than screening lower cost sales on Craigslist. Much appreciated!

Eli
Glen

Post by Glen »

preason66 wrote:Thank you everyone for your helpful responses! I have set up an appointment with a professional bamboo nursery in my area and will begin with this, rather than screening lower cost sales on Craigslist. Much appreciated!

Eli
This thread is a good lesson on the complexities of growing bamboo! The people responding to your request (including me) have decades of combined experience with all sorts of bamboo varieties, and we do not agree on which varieties are being sold. :D I should say that we probably would come to an agreement if we had better photographs. Identification of bamboos from photographs usually requires specific details, and people who do not understand bamboo will often not capture the right details.

After you talk to the nursery, feel free to run any questions by those of us on this forum. Even bamboo nurseries lead people astray! :D It is always good to get plenty of opinions.

Because of your climate, and the kinds of bamboo you want to grow, I will not be able to help you very much, but there are quite a few people here that are very knowledgeable in cold hardy clumping bamboos.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

That listing has some great (funny) details. Condition: "like new". Manufacturer: "Mother Earth" . :lol: