Help My Wife planted this in my front yard about 5 years ago

Moderator: needmore

shparker
Location info: 0

Help My Wife planted this in my front yard about 5 years ago

Post by shparker »

My Wife planted this bush about 5 years ago, I live in Long Beach California, it was all good for about 2 years ten I started noticing these spouts popping up in my yard, It is planted on City Property and it seems to be contained in that Area thus far, The sprouts seem to to subside in August when the Weather gets hotter I usually only see the sprouts in Early Spring which is rainy season here. Then in the Summer winter Months they subside, My first question is , Can anybody Identify the Species? My Second Question is it it Lumping Or Clumping? And my third Question is should I be concerned about this causing problems (ie getting into my Neighbors front yard, clogging my sewer lines etc etc. She does not water it much, and we only get rain like three months a year is when I see these stemms popping up like 10 to 15 feet from the actual shrub. Thank u for your help
Attachments
20180407_124324.jpg resized.jpg
20180407_124316.jpg resized.jpg
Tarzanus

Re: Help My Wife planted this in my front yard about 5 years

Post by Tarzanus »

Shoot was mown with grass and doesn't show any characteristics. If you van find one that wasn't damaged I believe ID would be possible.
Bamboo is trimmed so ID based on its appearance is also impossible.

Based on how far the shoots appear, I would think it's a runner. You can check for runners between the emerging shoots and the base clump. Cut all the runners leaving the area where bamboo grows.
Glen

Re: Help My Wife planted this in my front yard about 5 years

Post by Glen »

shparker wrote:My first question is , Can anybody Identify the Species?
My guess is Phyllostachys aurea. Get some photographs of the bases of the largest culms. P. aurea is distinctive.
shparker wrote:My Second Question is it it Lumping Or Clumping?
It is a running bamboo. I am not sure what you mean by "Lumping".
shparker wrote:And my third Question is should I be concerned about this causing problems (ie getting into my Neighbors front yard, clogging my sewer lines etc etc. She does not water it much, and we only get rain like three months a year is when I see these stemms popping up like 10 to 15 feet from the actual shrub. Thank u for your help
Given your climate, spread should be limited, as long as you keep removing shoots that come up away from the original planting. Running bamboos do not grow indefinitely away from the outermost culms of a grove. Most people find that running bamboos will not spread beyond a 20 to 30 foot mowed buffer. Your plant is sheared, further weakening it and limiting any potential spread. The rhizomes will not go through concrete, although they can go under it, depending on the depth and distance. Occasionally, shoots have been known to pop through asphalt. Can you post a wider shot, so we can get a better context for the position of your plant?

You can always use a shovel to rhizome prune the plant once a year. Just cut a ring a foot or so out from the plant. You do not need to dig anything out of the ground. The severed rhizomes will die as your mowing removes their shoots.