Here's one for you

Moderator: needmore

jsereda
Location info: 0

Re: Here's one for you

Post by jsereda »

Thanks. I'll still give the yellow grove a rub down :lol: to compare texture and keep my eye on sheath color over the next couple of years as they size up.
iain

Post by iain »

dependable wrote:All the aurosulcata shoots I have seen, the species, alata, spectabilis, aurocaulis and harbin have the same color culm sheaths.
Thanks, I suspected as much, but, you know, I wasn't sure.
Boohoo?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

jsereda wrote:Thanks. I'll still give the yellow grove a rub down :lol: to compare texture and keep my eye on sheath color over the next couple of years as they size up.
Actually you want to give it a rub up not down!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

All Phyllostachys aureosulcata bamboos have rough culm texture and practically identical culm sheaths. You really can't miss the rough texture, especially on young culms. It can wear-out with age a bit, but it never really gets smooth.
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

So far I agree that it looks like Alata. I have had some in the ground for I think 7 years. Only a hand full of culms are crookied. Some years they are crookied and some not but never all the culms. It seems to do with the timing of shooting and the weather. Sometimes only 1 or 2 culms in the year will be crookied.

Other items Bissetti is a very good screen one of the best in my opinion (depends how tall you need see below) The shoots do not look like aureosulcata at all, yours look like aureosulcata. The culms are smooth Alata is not smooth on up rub. My Bisetti has no crookied shoots at all Alata has maybe 10% or less. Bissetti also has very dark green leaves and culms. Alata has an all green culm and leaves but not as dark this is hard to know without a side by side comparison. Bissetti from my experience also seem to grow thicker with leaves and branches closer to the ground almost the whole way down making it a better screen for 15 foot to the ground where as Alata seems better about five foot to 20 feet or more. Alata the I can easily see between the culms below 5 feet. Your mileage with this may vary as mine is in the thick woods so they may be different in open areas with lots of sun.

I have a yellow groove in full sun and it is thicker (more dense) than the one I have in the woods you can see through it easily a 6 feet or higher down. The one in the woods is taller and thicker culms but also more spread out and once again not a thick screen from 6 to 7 feet to the ground. Bissetti is a beast blocking out most all light to the ground very dense and many leaves even a few feet from the ground.