My new bamboo Phyllos. Aurea?

Moderator: needmore

TheJournier
Location info: 0

My new bamboo Phyllos. Aurea?

Post by TheJournier »

So I got this new bamboo. I am hopeful it is something I can use. I too a look at some of its old growth, it looked about an inch thick or so.
It is a mystery bamboo, but according to a neighbor of mine fishpole bamboo was a more common sight here. I swear I've seen someone with gold fishpole bamboo on our way there.
Thoughts?

Tarzanus

Re: My new bamboo Phyllos. Aurea?

Post by Tarzanus »

Whatever it is, it will drown if it hasn't already.
TheJournier

Post by TheJournier »

It shouldn't, not if bamboo is like most other plants. I highly doubt a few hours soaking in water will hurt. Any how It was just so I could get a good look at the roots of the plant. Help the bamboo recover from it trauma for a 4hr journey with little to no dirt/water before I planted it.

Yes I could've planted it that day, but there was so much that went wrong (And the way I got the bamboo was a bit less than optimal. It wasn't pretty on a pot with a few nice stems). Someone had literally backhoed a whole bamboo plant and said "hey free bamboo". A lot of struggling stunted bamboo shoots, and greenish roots/rhyzomes, and a lot of brown and dead. I had brought a pick and a shovel, only the pick seem to work as everything seemed interconnected and all the shovel did was scrape the soil (what little of it there was off it, so it was practically beaten off the pile). I was also very tired that evening. Lets just say I almost went immediately to bed.
I have high hopes for the area however, as well there was literally someone with a whole farm of the stuff not 15-30 minutes away from where they lived, and in that small section on the way there I saw bamboo everywhere. If at first I don't succeed... I'll just try try again :). Next time, I'll got a bit more prepared, for one with a bigger SUV (all I had at the time was a small rental as that car was still in the shop).

Plants will be planted this morning... more pictures of the roots and stems will follow.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

No way to tell from those photos, if it were Aurea photos from the source grove might indicate that it is.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
TheJournier

Post by TheJournier »

Perhaps you are right. I have long since planted these. I KNOW for a fact I got 2 free bamboo plants from the whole bunch, I went ahead and planted the rhizome pieces, but I have doubt they'll make it.

On observation, the two plants that made it look... different somewhat. So two different spieces/cultivars?

For starters the bast of culms look to be different colors. It could be 1 dried out more than the other though, but one looks definitely greener.

One has larger leaves. I would normaly expect this from more mature looking/larger culms. However, the yellow stemed bamboo that is more dried out and stunted looking has larger leaves, the larger lusher green one has smaller ones

I know that a more mature plant would definitely be more identifiable but so excited to see what it woud look like. Yeah there you have it. Thanks for your input guys.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

You have to ignore the leaf size at this stage it is not any indicator of species, nothing to on really in these photos.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com