Will the true Dracocephala please stand up.

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Will the true Dracocephala please stand up.

Post by bambooweb »

fyi
from Chris Stapleton

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: Fargesia RUFA
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:25:35 -0000
To: susannelucas@adelphia.net <susannelucas@adelphia.net>

Dear Susanne

As you were the first one to ask me about this bamboo, you can be the
first to be told that I am now convinced that it is really
dracocephala, and that the plant that has been called dracocephala is
probably a new species.

Chris

On 12 Dec 2003 at 9:27, susannelucas@adelphia.net wrote:

> hi, Chris......
> Quick consultation re: taxonomic nomenclature clarification re: Rufa.
>
> What is correct : rufa or Rufa or 'Rufa'
>
> please advise at your earliest convenience ;
>
Eric Layton
Location info: 0

dracocephala: NOT! and rufa is dracocephala?

Post by Eric Layton »

Now I am really confused?!? How is a novice like me supposed to figure this one out? "Nothing going on here sir, just go back inside and close the door" I have a dracocephala for two years and now someone says: "no, you don't". I just received a rufa this year, but it really is a dracocephala? Is there a way to get to the truth of the matter. "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"! Please send help. Eric.
Steve in France

Well

Post by Steve in France »

Some of the time even the experts have a hard time figuring it out ,so a novice stands no chance.It's not only Bamboo's that change name every few years, I bought a Musa Basjoo "Tibet" two years ago ,within a year it was proved not to be a Basjoo but recieved the name Musa sp "Tibet" until it gets a proper name one of these days.My Yunnan 3a which was said to be a form of Borinda Albocera is now a something else that will just have a collection number for a long time. Then there is Shanghai 3 which is unknown and does not even have a collection number but a number which goes like this "Right so we have 3 Bamboos we did not order from China in this Shipping Container from Shanghai and none of the ones we did order, so I guess we better grow them and see what the H*ll they are, Now about the labels...Hmmmm ,this one better be Shanghai 1 and this one is Shanghai......." you get the picture.What I think is if you love the Bamboo and it has the form and habit you want then the name does not matter all that much, one day they will all get named, and even if they don't there will be people who have pics and discriptions of the unknowns and can advise on growing them.
Later
Steve
Eric Layton

Dracocephala, maybe.

Post by Eric Layton »

Thanks for the response Steve, I do understand the difficulty of properly identifying the many different species (language differences, cultural differences, lack of flowering parts, etc.). It just came as a surprise and I felt like responding to this kink in my well-order view of the world. As an optimist friend of mine says: "it's all good". And be assured, I am not going to yank it out of the ground just because we humans haven't figured out what to call it. It is growing very nicely and in a couple of years will be a beautiful plant. At least it is still bamboo, so far. :wink: Eric
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Eric
Some more background.
They never did know the species of the plant called 'Rufa'. It was imported as Gansu 95-1 and later listed as Fargesia Sp. 'Rufa' which indicated the species was still unidentified. Chris Stapleton has now identified it as F. dracocephala so I think it should be called F. dracocephala 'Rufa' to lessen the confusion.

I have no idea what they will do with the plant currently called F. dracocephala. Actually it will not grow here so I am not worried about it. 8)

Bill
Eric Layton

F. dracocephala ?

Post by Eric Layton »

Bill,
I am curious as to what prevented the dracocephala from growing in your area. I had thought our climates were similar with hot dry summers. We get a handful of 100+ days each year. My winters are not as cold but maybe just as dry. I know these fargesias can't handle direct sun during summers and mine is doing better in the shade. I have tried to pick the most heat tolerant ones (dracocephala, robusta, & rufa). Which fargesias do grow in your area?
Eric
Hollenback

F. dracocephala hardiness

Post by Hollenback »

Eric
My plant started as a 1 gallon plant about 2 feet tall and after each winter the old shoots died above the snow and mulch level and the new shoots were smaller. After the 4th winter it only had one shoot about 2 inches tall that did not make it through the summer. Note that in its 4th winter the low was -24 degF but the other years were around 0 to -5.
I have since learned that James Clever has two different clones of Draco with one being a faster grower. I have not tried his clone yet. With my luck the faster growing one will be Rufa. :)

Along with my Rufa I also have a Nitida in deep shade that is doing well. I also have a Robusta that is smaller in height after its first winter but the plant is wider so total leaf mass might be the same. I am also trying a Utilis this year. I have also heard that Denuda is doing well in Boise so I will add that one next year.

Bill
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Now I am really confused-I just am glad I got them both...Time to change my metal nameplates........ :shock:
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

LOL Eric. That's a good way to describe the uncertainty involved. The way I look at it, I'm fine with the name change as long as the new name is better than the old one. Dracocephala is a cool name so I'll go along with it. :roll: Looks to maybe mean Dragon Head or something like that? Sounds tougher than Rufa. This will be my 1st winter with F. dracocephala 'Rufa' or whatever you call it. I sure hope it makes it thru the winter.

P.S. Who is Chris Stapleton? Also, can Chris come over to my house and help me ID all of my bamboo? :wink:
--Mike
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hi, Chris Stapleton used to work for 'Kew Gardens' and is a botanist with a special interest in bamboo, used to regularly Id new stuff for the UK bamboo society but alas no longer, I think he's freelance now , so if the price is right he might take you up on you're offer :D

Markj
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Chris Stapleton just finished the Flora of China bamboo account that is on line at http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/mss/ ... edited.htm

You can read about some of what he has been up to in the topic "Letter From Chris Stapleton" http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?t=54

He is also in charge of the ABS species list and is the international representative on the board of directors.

Bill
bambooweb
Site Admin

Bambusa tuldoides ventricosa

Post by bambooweb »

Bambusa tuldoides ventricosa question moved to "Bambusa tuldoides ventricosa"

Bill
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Chris sent me this clarification on the authoring of the Flora of China.

"The draft FOC account linked to is a 1999 draft sent by the Chinese
contributors, edited by Dr Li De-zhu of Kunming Institute of Botany.
Since then there has been a substantial amount of water under the
bridge, with editorial input from Chris Stapleton, further additions
by Chinese authors, and also some steering by Lynn Clark. It has now
gone on to Missouri Botanical Garden, where final editing is being
undertaken by their staff. It should be published early next year.
Only then be able to see how various issues such as
ventricosa/tuldoides are resolved."

On the Rufa - Draco issue I found a article by Jos van der Palen on Rufa at http://www.kimmei.com/eng.htm click on publications.

Bill