Just a test - view new posts not working?

test messages for practice or testing the forum

Moderator: needmore

svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Just a test - view new posts not working?

Post by svendrix »

It looks like the "view posts since last visit" option isn't working properly, this is just a test, because there should be a new post for me to view afte making one!

"I am the Vivax, Goo goo ga joob!" :D

---Sven
svendrix

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet

RE: Just a test - view new posts not working?

Post by svendrix »

OK, that worked, not sure why it wasn't working for me earlier, as I could see new posts on the main forum page. Just a heads up in case others are seeing it. I was talking with ringersa and he said he wasn't receiving posts, but I don't know if that was via email, or what I am referring to? I'll let him elaborate, or maybe he already contacted Bill.

---Sven
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Sven,
Seems like (almost) every time I'm in here, you are also. I would think you would be almost as full proof of an alert system. :wink:

Granted I don't use that feature much, but this post was the only new one for me and it did show up in my list.

Not sure how it works with a given session. Could it be that you leave the browser open and logged in while sitting idle before closing and posts are being entered in the mean time? I also thought that this reporting was not 100% accurate when I tried to use it as well, but did not put the effort in trying to figure it out.
Rick
svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Rick, you may be right. While on the phone at work (which is most of the time), I browse through the new posts throughout the day by clicking on that "View posts since last visit". You'll see the list of all new posts since the last time you visited (if it works!), and then I just right click and open each post in a new tab in the browser. Very quick and easy!

I find it much easier than going into each separate forum, trying to remember if I read the last update or not, etc.

I sometimes will leave windows open on other computers (while visiting at my parents, or another computer not at work, etc). It may be that that page is refreshing and changing "the last time I visited", but I wouldn't think so?

Anyways, it works now for me, but it definitely missed 3 posts this morning that were new. I haven't seen that (or maybe just didn't notice it before).

Bill, do you know which version of phpbb you are using at this host? phpBB2 maybe? It looks like 3 is coming out soon. There are fun plugins you can do.

---Sven
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

Version 3 does have some good features but right now it would take weeks of work to update the site.
The problem with moving to version 3 is all of the mods would have to be duplicated. So far V3 does not have a digests Mod so those reading the site by email would not get the posts. V3 does let you subscribe to forums but from what I have read that only tells you that there is a new post not what it says.
I am using the phpBB login for photo and link entry and I would have to rewrite that along with the location entry, plant lists, spelling and other changes that I have made over the years.
There are also a number of changes to restrict spam that I would have to recreate from scratch because the mods only work with version 2.

Bill
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I do see that there is a V3 mod to add the body of the post to the subscribed email. That is a big thing so I might load V3 on the test site. V3 might make it here by Christmas.

Bill