Google Maps Project

Locations of public displays of bamboo.

Moderator: needmore

jtkach
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Google Maps Project

Post by jtkach »

I am developing an application using the Goggle Map API that allows a user to select, click on a spot on the Google map, that will place a marker where a bamboo grove or stand exists. The coordinates are then transferred to a form that a user can further fill out and identifying the characteristics and if they know the type of grove they have clicked on. Once the user submits the form the data is submitted to a MySQL database and stored. Also using an AJAX call all the groves listed in the database appear on the map.

I am doing this because I wanted a way to plot all the groves and stands around Charlotte, NC that I have run across. There is no reason, since it works with goggle maps, why this couldn't encompass a larger geographical area. Right now I am still writing the code for this and what I have is pretty raw, but I wanted to see if there is any interest out there for an application like this. Once done I could open it up to ABS members.
jT
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

RE: Google Maps Project

Post by bambooweb »

I have been looking at a similar thing to show the bamboo growth data. when you select a species it will show a map with the markers showing where bamboo growth data has been entered. and when you click on the marker you can go to the data record for that site.

Take a look at the Growth_Data Entry Page and you will see what tipe of data we would like to collect. http://www.bambooweb.info/DataEntry.php

Bill

PS I got the book "Beginning Google Maps Applications with PHP and Ajax" last week but I have not had time to look at it yet.
jtkach

Post by jtkach »

Bill that is very cool. I would love to show you what I got so far if you are interested. I looked at the form data you are collecting and it is much more sophisticated than what I am currently gathering. Currently I am just gathering species, max culm diameter, max height estimate, and notes. What I am focusing on currently is nailing down the functionality of the database calls and xmlHttpRequests. I loved to swap ideas with you if you are open to it.

Also I didn't know of that book thanks for telling me about it.
jT
jtkach

Post by jtkach »

Bill I got your email and I appreciate the info you included. I have had trouble emailing back to your address. I keep getting a bounce back when I have tried to reply to your message. If you have another email you can send me, I can try to email to that address.
jT
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

jtkach
I am currently in Hilo so I might not get computer access till next Tuesday.
The ABS board meeting is going on now and I am using the connection for the meeting. :D

A couple of addresses that you should be able to reach me at are:
bamboo@hollenback.com
bill@hollenback.com
bamboo@bambooweb.info

Bill
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I've been experimenting with Google Maps and the GPS data from our expedition. Wild! A URL for Google Maps can be constructed to mark a spot using Latitude and Longitude!

Example:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.2445469+-86.3218002

I would suggest we try and get GPS coordinates for the interesting groves we know about because it makes them a whole lot easier to find.

I included the qualifier "interesting" because we probably don't want to list every single planting in an area. For instance, I can think of about half a dozen places in and near Bloomington that have Yellow Groove growing. Do we really need to list them all?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Fancier yet: Needmore Nursery
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Google Maps Project

Post by mantis »

foxd wrote:I've been experimenting with Google Maps and the GPS data from our expedition. Wild! A URL for Google Maps can be constructed to mark a spot using Latitude and Longitude!

Example:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.2445469+-86.3218002

I would suggest we try and get GPS coordinates for the interesting groves we know about because it makes them a whole lot easier to find.

I included the qualifier "interesting" because we probably don't want to list every single planting in an area. For instance, I can think of about half a dozen places in and near Bloomington that have Yellow Groove growing. Do we really need to list them all?
Here is a stand that I bike past every weekend. I'll stop and take a pic or two on Saturday when I pass by. All of the farm land in the satellite pics has now been sold off to housing developers. I may need to go on a recovery mission. :D If I see someone in the yard of the house just south of the location I'll ask them about it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.659150+-95.756347
foxd

Post by foxd »

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

foxd,
That does not look like Encinitas, CA. :?

The Incorporated address for the ABS is at Quail and the new central mailing address is also in Encinitas but most people do not know that as it created last Thursday and has not been printed yet.

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:foxd,
That does not look like Encinitas, CA. :?

The Incorporated address for the ABS is at Quail and the new central mailing address is also in Encinitas but most people do not know that as it created last Thursday and has not been printed yet.

Bill
http://foxd.JustGotOwned.com

:laughing1:
foxd

Post by foxd »

I can see this information needs to be updated!

http://www.jgarden.org/organizations.asp?ID=97
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

jtkach

Post by jtkach »

I just got the book Bill recommended last week, in the mail yesterday, Google Maps Applications with PHP and Ajax. I read through the first 3 chapters last night. It seems pretty straight forward. I realized my existing code was way bloated though and I am starting over from scratch today. I should have a workable version of the map next week. I will post a URL to it at that time.
jT
mantis

Post by mantis »

mantis wrote:
Here is a stand that I bike past every weekend. I'll stop and take a pic or two on Saturday when I pass by. All of the farm land in the satellite pics has now been sold off to housing developers. I may need to go on a recovery mission. :D If I see someone in the yard of the house just south of the location I'll ask them about it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.659150+-95.756347
Ok, I biked past this stand today and made a couple quick observations (I was going 22mph, so quick is all I had time for).

First the stand is 90% running bamboo that I have absolutely no chance at making any sort of guess in identifying it (green 1" culms tightly packed, with a max. height of about 25'... I'll get pics. some day).

But there was also a couple clumps of B. vulgaris 'Vitatta'. They looked like they were being sqeezed out by the runner. There were only a few culms, and those were fully mature. No new growth.

I might try and swing by tomorrow to take a couple pics (I'll be in a car, not on my bike).
foxd

Post by foxd »

I had some time back spotted a grove of bamboo near a friends place and since I was in the area today, I decided to try and get a good look at it. It turns out it was "Yellow Groove", like most bamboo in the Bloomington area is. But the size was amazing for this area! I used a small tape measure and roughly measured one cane as over 4.5 inches in circumference, which would put the diameter at close to 1.5 inches. This is most probably not the largest cane there, since it just happened to be growing through the fence and was easily accessible! (I really didn't feel like invading the property, what with the large growling dog on the other side of the fence and all.

Anyway, seeing "Yellow Groove" that size gives me real hope of even larger bamboo in Indiana!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.