Home weather stations

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Home weather stations

Post by mantis »

Anyone know anything about home weather stations? I've been thinking about getting one, and was wondering if Oregon Scientific will get my by, or do I really need a Davis Instruments?

If I need a Davis, then I guess I won't be getting a weather station :laughing1:
mantis

RE: Home weather stations

Post by mantis »

Cool 8)

http://www.davisweathergadgets.com/prod ... mky=674800
Davis Instruments 6345CS Complete Wireless Soil Moisture and Temperature Station is a great tool for Vantage Pro2 systems for anyone with an interest in wetness levels!

This handy unit is perfect for agricultural businesses or simply homeowners monitoring garden conditions. Davis Instruments 6345CS Complete Wireless Soil Moisture and Temperature Station is solar-powered and includes a transmitter and battery housed inside a weather-resistant shelter.

This version of the moisture monitoring station includes four soil moisture sensors and four temperature probes.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I have to weather stations one is an older La crosse weather station.
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/ws_pro.php
The wind speed does not read correctly after some 60 mph winds wore out the bearings but the rest works well. I see they have changed the design of the anemometer so that might not be an issue now.
My other system is built from scratch and also records the temperature and humidity in a database.
I wish I had a soil moisture sensor, I have not found one that I can tie into my system that costs less than $500 per sensor.

Bill
mantis

Re: RE: Home weather stations

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote: I wish I had a soil moisture sensor, I have not found one that I can tie into my system that costs less than $500 per sensor.

Bill
It's not that bad... you get 4 moisture sensors and 4 temp probes for $500 :shock:

I found a price list somewhere, and you can buy additional moisture sensors for $45. Temp probes were $36. I just don't know how many you can connect to the transmitter. If it is only 4 sets then that kinda stinks. If you can connect 8 sets then it starts to be a little more reasonable. Also, I wouldn't need any additional temp. probes... I mean how many do I need in 1/20th of an acre? :laughing1:

edit: can only connect 4 to each transmitter. Transmitters are $175. :(
Last edited by mantis on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mantis

Post by mantis »

Bill, you can go really hardcore...

6420 Leaf Wetness Sensor
Leaf Wetness Sensor
Model #: 6420 In Stock Qty:
Actual Size: 5.75" x 4.25" x 3.25"
Price Each: $76.00

Davis Instruments 6420 Leaf Wetness Sensor for use with our Wireless Leaf Wetness/Temperature Station. The Wireless Leaf Wetness/Temperature Station can support up to four leaf-wetness sensors. This sensor includes a 40' (12 m) cable.

:laughing1:
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Mike,
The price on soil probes is good but in order to use it you need a Vantage Pro2 station or Wireless Weather Envoy. Then you need the software to put it in the computer.

Bill
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

This reminds me, I was at some point going to pick up some sort of soil thermometer. Any suggestions on an inexpensive source?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
mantis

Re: RE: Home weather stations

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:Mike,
The price on soil probes is good but in order to use it you need a Vantage Pro2 station or Wireless Weather Envoy. Then you need the software to put it in the computer.

Bill
Yep, I've been piecing a system together (in my head)... I'd could pick up the Envoy for $175, the software for $150, and a transmitter for $175. I could then go piecemeal as my budget allowed. It still is a hefty start up cost, but the equipment is supposed to last for many years. Plus, I have quite a bit of money in my PayPal account after the ABS Auction refund :laughing1:
mantis

Post by mantis »

Finally went to pull the trigger on the Davis Weather station, and guess what? It was sold out.

Man, first the camera mess and now this... someone doesn't want me to spend my money. :cussing:
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

... someone doesn't want me to spend my money
probably your wife.
mantis

Post by mantis »

With winter right around the corner I finally ordered my weather station. Didn't get all the bells and whistles, but I got a decent starting model, and the hardware/software to upload the info to the web.

After I get it all configured I'll put a link in my sig. :)
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Mantis,

Which weather station did you end up going for? I remember seeing your post at that time, but can't seem to find it now.

Are you happy with your choice, or would you try something different?

---Sven
mantis

Post by mantis »

I got the Davis Vantage Pro 2. I am happy with it. There are a couple add-ons that I'd like to get (additional sensors to put in the greenhouse, etc), but they can wait until next fall.
mantis

Post by mantis »

Friend just called, and the local CBS affiliate station has a little feature in their weather forecast that is called "weather bugs". Today they had my weather station info up and talked about the weather in Sugar Land. I'm famous. :laughing1: