Cool. Former one's have entered the palace!

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Cool. Former one's have entered the palace!

Post by Iowaboo »

I see some more former gw's have found bambooweb.info, the amazing info site all about bamboo. Maybe we will be seeing some of kentuck's bamboo photos in the gallery.
:D
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Former GWers

Post by rfgpitt »

It is nice to see a few more GW's, but I think there still are quite a few that are not here. All the people I was really in contact with are here already. If anyone knows a regular on GW, would you mind mentioning to them again that we're here. I know when I started there were very few posts and this could have driven some people away initially.

I think I filled out my profile with some bogus info before the 24th and was able to post. For the few that came over recently, did the new policy over there make it the last straw? I'm not completely abandoning GW since there are other topics other than bamboo, but would rather focus what little I can offer to a site that is not so commercialized and is supported by the ABS.
Rick
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I think the last few who are filtering over here is because gardenweb bamboo forum has become so sparse. Such regular contributors such as bboy, cady, and kudzu9 still comment over there. I jumped over here once I learned hoosier52 was jumping ship. He has some of the most revelant info for a northerner like me. 8) Some of them might have switched over to davesgarden. I still use gardenweb and still comment when worthwhile and use the variety of forums they still offer.
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

I hope everyone abandons the GW bamboo forum for good. Thanks to Bill for this website and for Brad jumping ship awhile ago to come here.
Participation was kinda sparse a few months ago, but now is at an alltime high.
Steve in France

Not knowing

Post by Steve in France »

What was the final problem at gardenweb, I do use it sometimes but not much.I use UKOasis for my Exotic stuff as the best experts for Exotics are there.
Later
steve
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

The final problem for gardenweb was a new user agreement which made alot leave. Many problems started occuring when gardenweb was acquired by Ivillage.

Hey, bambookid! i see you lurking around. Join the excitement! :!: :!: :evil: :twisted:
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

The gardenweb lost all moderation in it's content and with the new agreement they "own" your pictures, words, and everything else.It was time to ride off into the sunset and settle here at the bambooweb.
Steve in France

Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up guys. It's a higher quality site here all round so there loss is our gain :D .
Does anyone know of a really good Waterlilly/pond site ?
Thanks
Later
Steve
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I like to look at the site http://fishpondinfo.com/ with a range of pond info.
Steve in France

Thanks

Thanks .I'll out the link check the link. I was also wondering if you guys grow any Palms and treeferns like we do here.Also on the zone front , our zones do not make sense in the US way as we et short periods of cold and cooler summers.
I'l try to post some winter Bamboo picks and you will see what a difference it makes.
Also is anyone growing the amazing Kirk Strawn Hybrid Water Lilies ?
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/water ... _main.html
Later
Steve
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Off Topic - Prof Kirk Strawn's water gadens

Post by Mike McG »

Hi Steve
It's a small world. I do not have water lilies but last April, Bob Strawn invited several people over to see his Louisiana Iris that were blooming at that time. He lives in College Station Texas, not far from us here, on the property containing his father's water gardens. Bob was very generous, giving us a dozen named varieties if irises. He also had water lilies in a number of ponds but they weren't blooming, and described how his father found out how to hybridize them. I had not realized at the time how famous his father was in this area until I was looking on the Internet later for the various descriptions of the irises he had given us. I am now waiting for them to bloom so I can identify them and separate them.

Mike near Brenham TX
Steve in France

Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike, yes it is a small world.
I hope to have news of our US move in the next few weeks. For sure we will come down your way at some point, be great to meet up and meet up with Bob too and talk about his Dad. With luck this could happen in the next 24 months. :D
I only have two Strawn hybrids at the Moment ( Colorado and Joey ) but I'll be buying a few more from James Knock this Spring, James is a great guy and a total pond plant Nut.His Strawn Collection of hardy Water Lilies is almost complete, just a couple more to get like Bernise Ikins hybrid.
Later
Steve
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

diff topics

Post by kstanwick »

It appears that we all share similar topics when it comes to gardening/working outside/types of plants. I would assume it is possible to discuss those types of things in here although this IS the place for bamboo. How does everyone feel about having some unofficial topics like ponds or conifers or palms added to the list? it appears that they all fall into the general area of bamboo....or at least we who grow bamboo also have interests in these areas. I love the idea of one stop shopping when it comes to talking about my yard. I loved GW for that reason but latelty it just isn't worth going there.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Steve in France

I guess

Well underplanting Bamboo is an interesting subject, at this point I use mostly hardy ferns as they are not expensive and look good and many of them like siilar conditions ie; leafmould and moisture.Ponds are great for reflecting Bamboos and add moisture to the air which Bamboos like, also if you pick the right free flowering water lillies there is a riotof colour which can only add to the scene.Palms with bamboos will give the impression of being in another warmer world :lol: , plus add to the impact when your garden is veiwed by others or indeed yourself.
I also use Taro/Elephant Ears/ Colocasia and Alocasia to add to the exotic impact. My largest leaf on an outdoor Alocasia last Summer was over three feet ( overwintering in the Kitchen now http://www.pbase.com/theukoasis/image/52040325 ) , should be very easy for you guys to grow with your warmer Summers.
I don't know in this is the right place to discuss this stuff but I guess it's up to Bill in the end as it's his spot.
Later
Steve
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

spot

Post by kstanwick »

Steve i guess this would be the area that stuff like this would fall under. I agree that Bill has the ultimate say as to topics but as long as we keep it separate, i have no problems. you described what you are doing with your plantings/yard is exactly what i want to achieve in mine. my progress has been painfully slow due to financial restrictions and spending time with my family. The ideas and input from others for me is invaluable. As long as i see a little progress each year, i have to be happy with that. Baby steps....for me.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden