Does anyone know of a good conifer message board?

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

JakeK
Location info: 0

Does anyone know of a good conifer message board?

Post by JakeK »

Besides bamboo, I have a strong interest in conifers, and with the destruction of what used to be a good message board at GW (pretty much the entire site is awful now), does anyone know of any reputable conifer boards?
Thanks in advance.
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

conifer

Post by kstanwick »

I was going to mention GW but i haven't been back there since i packed up and moved over here. I keep in touch with a guy who has an interest in Sequioas. I don't know exactly what conifer you were looking to speak about but Pat aka bambookid used to be koniferkid. you can possible ask him directly.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I tried a sequoia last year, but the late frosts nipped the fresh growth, then an ant clan attacked, and so on. Conclusion being, its dead. I'll try again in the future.
JakeK

Post by JakeK »

I am growing Cedrus deodara. I have a Karl Fuchs graft, a Deep Cove graft and two common deodaras. This past fall I didn't get a chance to collect seeds of C. libani var. Stenocoma at Spring Grove Cemetery, but I am looking at acquiring a graft if I can find one for a decent price.

I also have seedlings of Sequoia sempervirens from Philadephia PA. My climate is fairly similar to Philly's so these redwoods may actually work for my area, that is until we have another zone 4 winter. I will also be getting a Hazel Smith sometime this spring as well.

I will be planting out a few Pinus palustris this spring too. I found one near my house that is approximately 15 feet tall, but is growing in deep shade so it has quite a contorted look.

Oh I forgot to add, that I am a big fan of Cryptomeria's. The Cincinnati Zoo has a nice specimen of Yoshino and they also have a Araucaria araucana that has survived a few winters here including the very cold winter of 2004.

Jake