Bamboo cloning?

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

BooKing
Location info: 0

Bamboo cloning?

Post by BooKing »

Is there a patent on cloning bamboo or can anyone [assuming they have the know-how,equipment,etc.] try and do it?

Any info would be appreciated.
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

King, I believe that specific cloning methods can be patented providing they aren't already common knowledge and in long practice - such as rhizome division. Bamboo Select, for example, has a patent on whatever method it came up with to successfully clone bamboo with tissue culture.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Oregonbamboo
Location info: 39

Post by Oregonbamboo »

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we taking a piece of a plant (division, rhizome, tissue etc..) and making a "new" plant from the original. Isn't that cloning? We're taking cells (pieces of the plant) and making new plants from them. Isn't that why all the plants of a bamboo specie flower at roughly the same time all over the world? In other words all have come from the same "mother" plant at one time and have been cloned a million times over? Isn't next generation seed the true biodiversity in the equation.

I believe micropropagation a.k.a. tissue culture is just another form of cloning. The individual techniques have probably been patented would be my guess.

Set me straight here. :?
AJ Williams
Cedar Mill Bamboo
http://www.cedarmillbamboo.com

100% Organic Garden and Nursery in Portland, Oregon
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I'm assuming booking meant micropropagation. Dividing bamboo would be considered cloning. There are many ways to clone a plant, now a human on the other hand, is a little harder.

Adam wrote:Set me straight here.
Your description sounds accurate.

8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Thank god they haven't started cloning humans. Can you imagine 2 Lances? :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding of course. Your posts would topple into the 1000's. :wink:
Oregonbamboo
Location info: 39

Post by Oregonbamboo »

Thank God you can't just cut off your finger and it'll start growing a whole new body. Everything is there to do it. Bamboo is an amazing plant don't you think? :D
AJ Williams
Cedar Mill Bamboo
http://www.cedarmillbamboo.com

100% Organic Garden and Nursery in Portland, Oregon
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

booking, jr 'I have a dream' wrote:Can you imagine 2 Lances? Just kidding of course. Your posts would topple into the 1000's
Its going to be like there are two lances for the the next week. Cabin fever + arctic + snow = more http://bambooweb.info

8)