Bamboo Phoenix group

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

kstanwick
Location info: 0
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Bamboo Phoenix group

Post by kstanwick »

Bill i realize that the creation of this group was to talk about the creation of this site. Since this site is now functioning and enough people are using it, do you feel we/you need the group in yahoo?? i have a feeling alot of potential spammers might be latching onto here because of its connection with yahoo. Just a thought.... I never really go back to yahoo for any group discussions because of the constant threat of spyware/spammers. Your thoughts.....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
iandad

Post by iandad »

Yahoo groups are notorious for spammers...
Zone Challenged...
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

One thing about the Yahoo group is it has never been in their list of groups.
It has been word of mouth or invitation only.

Bill
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I wonder what chele was talking about when she brought up the Bamboo Phoenix group.
bamboobill wrote:One thing about the Yahoo group is it has never been in their list of groups.
It has been word of mouth or invitation only.
It must be working, because I haven't heard of the group before.

8)
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

Just a thought...if its locked down then i guess its ok. My thoughts were more of "yahoo" and the spammers.....i was more afraid of yahoo groups linked to this one...I think that could possibly be a weak link...not to bash yahoo for any of the Yahoo group owners.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
kstanwick

then again

Post by kstanwick »

then again it IS easy enough to catch the potential spammer members and just remove them if needed....lkz5ia.... that group came about way back when(before this site).....apparantly there is a history that goes along with the name and such...some of the REAL long time bamboo growers know it....maybe one day there will be a campfire we can all sit around and one of the "elders" can tell the tale....lol...or maybe not...Kind of like the legend of Bigfoot....only kidding...
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

Lance,
For a history of this site and what lead up to it look for a copy of the October 2005 issue of BAMBOO Magazine.

It is amazing that it has been less than two years since this site was conceived :occasion9:

Thanks,
Bill
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

It is amazing that it has been less than two years since this site was conceived
....and yet you joined in December 1969 :shock:
Rick
kstanwick

ha

Post by kstanwick »

thats funny.....Bill has been posting to no one for 34 years.....glad to see the forum finally picked up.....and yes it is amazing how far this site has come....Glad to be part of it and to watch it grow....Thanks Bill
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Steve in France

Good site

Post by Steve in France »

Yes in the last six months this site has grown to be a major player in the Bamboo forum world .Personnally I'd like to thank Bill and all the members who post the good stuff.I believe the reason it has taken off so much is down to the European members , feel free to disagree :lol: .

But seriously, what has really happened is an explosion of high quality posts from people with knowledge and a joining of forces from members around the world.
I hope the site keeps going from strength to strength and will continue to be a fine resource for beginners and old bamboo hands.
Thanks to all :!:
Later
Steve
kstanwick

Hmmmm

Post by kstanwick »

Funny you should say european members. When everyone started joining, alot of members were from "over there" I was taken back a bit of how much bamboo is liked and used by so many in Europe.....I'm not a world traveler so i am probably ignorant when it comes to the rest of the world and the climates and such...but when you think about it...it is china and the asian world where the stuff or most of it comes from. I really enjoyed hearing from the one GW member that was building his house in the middle of the Moso forest....Where is that guy....he had some sweet pics of his project.....Love to see how its coming.....I like the "global" feel of this forum....Bill's vision of this site has come to help so many, can't say enough...Steve i won't disagree on the European members input.... to me everyone's input has some validity to it....I can't participate in the tropical threads but reading them is great....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Steve in France

Boos

Post by Steve in France »

There are a lot of Europeans mad about Bamboo, you see alot growing in areas of the south of France, gone wild in some areas.The Germans are Jos's main customers I would think , but I maybe wrong on that one, the Germans have some very good Bamboo forums, my wife can read them but not me.I stick with English and a bit of French. I must start using more French to get intouch with some of the guys here.My main problem is space and I can only add a few more Bamboos here.I have planted Shanghai 3 at two freinds places and must start a collection of clumpers at another friends place.He has the perfect climate for some of them and a very big garden.I hope if we do make it to DC to have a big garden, grow some nice Bamboos for a few years, then sell the place and give the big boys to some of you guys.If we ever sell this place I'm moving the Bamboos too, no point leaving ten year old giant timber Bamboos for a new owner not unless they wish to pay several thousand dollars for each clump so I can try to replace them.It sounds mean but I'm not getting any younger and it takes a while to grow giants.I think it will be a Backhoe, Crane and truck job. :D
later
Steve
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I know Steve was kidding around but I also agree with Kurt re the value of the European contributions to this forum. It's refreshing to hear about more people appreciating bamboo as an ornamental landscape plant. In the US it seems there is mostly fear and misunderstanding about the plant.

I kind of wish we could get a few members from Asia but it appears this is asking too much currently. Maybe this will change in the next few years.
--Mike
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Isn't there some asian members listed in memberlist?

8)