web page template

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

web page template

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I am going to start up a web page for bamboo. I will get a friend to assist as we attempt to develop and get the thing going. I need to find a good web page template to start with as I don't want to redo all our efforts too many times as we learn. Does anyone have suggestions for a free basic template? I like the format Sherry has at:
http://www.bambooflorida.com/index.html
I believe I am going to use Host Monster to host the site. Boonut has already given me much needed advice and any additional suggestions are welcome. thanks...
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

RE: web page template

Post by svendrix »

If you are just looking for templates for the "look" of the site, you may dig some of these (there are many pages to wade through):

http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/

I haven't used them, but that is the first link that came up in google, and it looks easy to modify them image/text wise, and don't require links back to the parent site.

---Sven
Green Man

Post by Green Man »

I am sure your project is probably well under way by this point, but I wanted to add my 2 cent suggestion.

:idea: Using a CMS (content management system) would make site updates a snap, while providing you with an easy way to integrate templates/themes. As an added benefit, a good CMS will allow you to easily make layout, color and content changes without having to redo all your work, whip out your preferred html and/or css editor, or rely on someone else. The ability to make changes on-the-fly and often without editing a single line of code can save allot of time, whether you are new to working with html and css or not.

Most complex websites are concerned with efficiency and ease of management and therefore employ a good CMS. Depending on what your site goals are, I can recommend Joomla and WordPress from personal experience working with many. Both are free, but there are commercial options available as well. Many free themes/templates can be found by doing a quick search, or you can join a "club" and get instant access to several commercial designs for a very nominal fee. Integrating these themes is as easy as uploading it using the administrative themes/templates installer and selecting it for use. It normally takes less than a minute to give your site a complete facelift.

BTW I did look at Bamboo Florida and it is a very simple design. It would not be difficult to create something similar yet original.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Thanks Green Man. I found I had Microsoft Publisher on my pc and built my site from there. Boonut gave me a few pointers and steered me to Host Monster and a week later I was up and running. I built a very simplistic site, yet effective for my needs. I will need to learn much more as I go forward. I really appreciate the input.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: web page template

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Thanks Green Man. I found I had Microsoft Publisher on my pc and built my site from there. Boonut gave me a few pointers and steered me to Host Monster and a week later I was up and running. I built a very simplistic site, yet effective for my needs. I will need to learn much more as I go forward. I really appreciate the input.
Steve,

You've done a lot more to your website since the last time I checked.

You said to please inquire about Bambusa Oldhamii “Oscar”, so I am. Any details you can share?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Green Man

Re: RE: web page template

Post by Green Man »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Thanks Green Man. I found I had Microsoft Publisher on my pc and built my site from there. Boonut gave me a few pointers and steered me to Host Monster and a week later I was up and running. I built a very simplistic site, yet effective for my needs. I will need to learn much more as I go forward. I really appreciate the input.
You are very welcome. I am a big proponent of simple and clean design over overdone and cluttered. While I am not epileptic, some site designs do make me feel like seizing due to sensory assault.

I took a look at your site. It appears to have a cross-browser compatibility issue with Mozilla Firefox. Firefox is a popular enough browser that I thought you may want it brought to your attention. The problem appears to be with page title formatting. I will pm you with a link to a screen capture of your site as viewed at present with Firefox.

Microsoft products are not well known for ensuring the code they generate will be compatible with the browsers produced by those viewed as competitors. The fact that your site looks fine in Opera was probably an over-site on the part of Microsoft. Of course, the folks producing Opera work tirelessly to fix rendering problems. Not surprisingly, your site looks good in Microsoft IE. :)
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Thanks for the PM and info Greenman. I will look into the compatibility issue. I was able to build the site using Publisher despite no experience with code, just familiarity with other Microsoft products such as Excel and Word. It got me going fast.

Roy, I will start another post on Oscar.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Bamboo Outlaw

Re: web page template

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Well, I am on version 2 of my web site. I have a new template and used Dream Weaver to build it (had help). There were issues with Internet Explorer and Publisher that Microsoft would not address. If anyone wants to look around and offer suggestions, maybe I can incorporate them in the next update. thanks...
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas