Looking at buying land

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

marcat
Location info: 28

RE: Looking at buying land

Post by marcat »

Congrats will get thet Jubaea your way next time I get up that way.
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I think with that sandy Brazos River sand all over the place your plants will thrive. I am excited to see it mowed and get a better feel for the layout since our intial visit. I know the wife and kids are really going to enjoy the time spent there. I am going to have to see them drop a line in the pond :)
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Just got back from a visit to Mantis' new place. Fantastic!!!! Great soil and area. Mantis and family did very well indeed. Should be a great place to grow bamboo and the north side of the property is protected with tall trees.

Lots of live oak trees and good carpet grass throughout. What a find!!

Looking forward to the first big cookout at your place Mantis!

Thanks for the visit!

Marcat... I was doing all I could to find your place. Didn't work out. I ended up heading to Houston to get a bamboo sent from Florida. Next time I am up that way, I will stop by for a visit. I passed within 10 miles of Seadrift.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Allen, good to talk to you yesterday. Keep us posted how the Nana does down south.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Thanks all. 8)

MarCat, we need to get together again soon. I think the last time I saw you was when Sid was planting all of his zucchini seeds in Outlaw's augured holes. :lol:

Allen, it was great that you and Gracie could stop by yesterday. I know you had a long way to go to get home, but I'm glad you could see the new land. Hopefully next time you are up it will look a bit less unruly.

Outlaw, I hope you are right about the plants liking the soil in the area. I might actually have to dig holes now when I plant my boo instead of just setting the root ball on the ground and mounding up dirt. I think my father-in-law and Sid are going fishing at the property today. I'll let you know if they catch anything.
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Re: RE: Looking at buying land

Post by boonut »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Allen, good to talk to you yesterday. Keep us posted how the Nana does down south.
Thanks for all you are doing to help Mercer Steve. You are really taking the role that Richard Waldron had. You are the new "Johnny bamboo seed". You continue to help many people obtain bamboo and get to see it with the help of Linda Gay at Mercer. Way to go!!!

Thanks for helping me get the B. Nana. It made it home fine. I found some white cloth material designed to protect plants in the winter at "Dan's Hardware" right next to Mercer. That worked out fantastic. I wrapped it up with duct tape and Nana made it home in perfect shape. It was so foggy that morning, that after finding Dan's Hardware, we had no idea how close it was until the fog lifted. I had to use the "Tom Tom" GPS unit to find Mercer in the fog.

I need to call and thank Sherry Snodgress also. She is also doing a lot to help others enjoy bamboo.

Thanks to all. 8) :lol: :)
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Allen yu must have came back on Tx 35, sorry to miss you hollar nxt time you are this way and we we can hook up, hopefully I will get down your way soon.
Mantis rake up the grass after its mowed and stock pile it for mulching the new plantings. Sand dries out fasd near the surface and this drought looks to be hear for a while. Heck I actually have over and inch of rain YTD. 1 3/8's. With barely getting 10 inches last year I expect tumble weeds to start poping up around here soon.
Have fun at March Mart wish I could join you.
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Boonut, maybe next time Marcat is down we can all meet up with Mantis. He will need some help moving those bamboo to the new land!
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
boonut

Post by boonut »

Sounds like a plan. He will need help moving all of those from his back yard and greenhouse. Who's bringing the beer? :lol: 8)
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mantis

Post by mantis »

boonut wrote:Sounds like a plan. He will need help moving all of those from his back yard and greenhouse. Who's bringing the beer? :lol: 8)
I always have plenty of beer on hand. :occasion5:

Walking around the yard last night I got a sore back just looking at what I have to move... five 65-gallon pots, four 25-gallon, and then a couple dozen smaller sized (5-7 gallon). But like they say: Rome wasn't built in a day.

But first things first... I need to get electricity to the well, and get irrigation going. Without that, and seeing that this drought has shown no signs of breaking, anything I plant out there is as good as dead. :(
mantis

Post by mantis »

Finally got the property mowed, so now we can actually walk around and see what we bought.

Crappy cell phone pic:

rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

Looks good! Now you can break out the chain saw and thin the trees (leaving live oaks) so the others will have room to spread out.
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

how did the well install go? I did my own and it was SO much fun heh not.

Hope yours was easy peasy!
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Hey, who is the farmer in the coveralls :D

Maybe I can swing by this weekend and take a look.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

rickw wrote:Looks good! Now you can break out the chain saw and thin the trees (leaving live oaks) so the others will have room to spread out.
Almost every tree is a live oak. We will do some thinning eventually, but for now we'll just let them all grow.
Flashburn wrote: how did the well install go? I did my own and it was SO much fun heh not.

Hope yours was easy peasy!
Haven't serviced the well yet, or run electricity. We've been so busy that we haven't had time to do it yet. We just paid the neighbor to mow for us. Once tax season is past I'll think about getting the well up and running.
Bamboo Outlaw wrote: Hey, who is the farmer in the coveralls :D

Maybe I can swing by this weekend and take a look.
You are welcome to visit anytime. You can swing by Saturday, and then come to the house for some food and beer. 8)

Sunday I'm planning on driving down to your place to pick up the trailer, slammer, and plant... maybe test the slammer out on another couple plants??? :mrgreen: