End of summer

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: End of summer

Post by bambooweb »

Allen
You could send some of the rain up here. Although I did get .04 inches last Saturday which brought last month's rainfall total up to .6 inches so we are now in the rainy season.

Bill
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

We got 4 inches today... seems like there is no end to the rain. Our soils can't handle the amount of rain we keep getting. I may lose more bamboo before the end of the month... hmmm, maybe I can teach them to swim. :D :D
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Flashburn
Location info: 0

Post by Flashburn »

Today when i saw the latest weather I was thinking about your dirt still floating from the last round only to get more rain.... 4" already and the storm is just nicking you so far.

Ugg.

One thing you can count on is some bamboo from me.

anything from my list I can send. except the robusta its too small yet.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I may be wrong, but I get the strong feeling that we are going to have a very late Fall like we did last year.

And the remains of Gustav brought us some pleasant rain!

BTW, does anyone know of any bamboo growing in Greenland?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: End of summer

Post by Roy »

foxd wrote:I may be wrong, but I get the strong feeling that we are going to have a very late Fall like we did last year.

No, but I did have a guy from Nova Scotia, Canada, who was vacationing in Florida, come by and buy some tropical bamboo. I questioned him as to how he figured he would be able to grow tropical bamboo in Nova Scotia, Canada, and he said "pots man, pots". :D
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

bambooweb wrote:When was Summer? Here the weather has been colder than normal all year.......
I looked yesterday and in Canonsburg (SW of Pittsburgh) we did not hit 90* in August or yet in September - and 10 day tells me I should start thinking about getting the jackets out :cry: . I know that we might be a degree or two colder than Pgh so I checked and Pgh did not hit 90 during that time either. It seems global warming passed us by this year. I'm sure though somebody can explain to me how since we're all headed to certain doom w/ global warming we ended up having one of the coldest summers probably ever here. Guess when the ice caps start getting larger again there'll be people warning us about global cooling - sorry, I'll stop there.
Rick
foxd

Post by foxd »

Roy wrote:
foxd wrote:I may be wrong, but I get the strong feeling that we are going to have a very late Fall like we did last year.

No, but I did have a guy from Nova Scotia, Canada, who was vacationing in Florida, come by and buy some tropical bamboo. I questioned him as to how he figured he would be able to grow tropical bamboo in Nova Scotia, Canada, and he said "pots man, pots". :D
I have read there are some Fargesia growing as far North as the Arctic Circle, so it seems possible there are some species of bamboo that could survive the Greenland winters.

I know that seeing green bamboo in the winter gives me a bit of a lift, imagine how the Greenlanders would feel having Bamboo groves. :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Roy

Post by Roy »

rfgpitt wrote:
bambooweb wrote:When was Summer? Here the weather has been colder than normal all year.......
I looked yesterday and in Canonsburg (SW of Pittsburgh) we did not hit 90* in August or yet in September - and 10 day tells me I should start thinking about getting the jackets out :cry: . I know that we might be a degree or two colder than Pgh so I checked and Pgh did not hit 90 during that time either. It seems global warming passed us by this year. I'm sure though somebody can explain to me how since we're all headed to certain doom w/ global warming we ended up having one of the coldest summers probably ever here. Guess when the ice caps start getting larger again there'll be people warning us about global cooling - sorry, I'll stop there.
One of the issued presented by global warming is the issue of extreme variations from what we have basically considered to be the norm. Laying aside the argument whether or not global warming is man-made or not, there does seem to be a warming of average temperatures over time.

I grew up in southern Mississippi. As a young kid, I remember playing in the snow almost every Winter. Now, the young relatives I have living there have no idea what it is like to play in snow.

So, in my lifetime I've seen a warming trend. Not sure the reason behind this trend, but it does seem, on average, getting warmer.
Roy Rogers
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Roy,
You're probably right. I was basing my rant on high temps not averages. I'm just a little pissy cause I want to be bumped up to a zone 7 and we're not there yet. I here yah on the snow thing. The last few years here have been pretty weak. I think we only had one full day last year with snow deep enough to sled ride. (they're forecasting we'll need the shovels this year though). I'm (only) 34 and have noticed the same decline around western PA.

Good luck with all those storms out there!
Rick
Roy

Post by Roy »

rfgpitt wrote:Roy,
You're probably right. I was basing my rant on high temps not averages. I'm just a little pissy cause I want to be bumped up to a zone 7 and we're not there yet. I here yah on the snow thing. The last few years here have been pretty weak. I think we only had one full day last year with snow deep enough to sled ride. (they're forecasting we'll need the shovels this year though). I'm (only) 34 and have noticed the same decline around western PA.

Good luck with all those storms out there!
If the global warming is causing all these additional hurricane hitting the USA, then I'm willing to give up the warmer temps my bamboo likes. :wink:
Roy Rogers
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

The end of summer is finally upon us. This weekend we woke up to temperatures in the upper 60's for the first time in months. I've also noticed a drastic slow down in our grass growth; this was the first weekend since March that I didn't have to mow the lawn. Daytime highs are still in the mid-90's though, so we aren't completely out of the woods.
Roy

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:The end of summer is finally upon us. This weekend we woke up to temperatures in the upper 60's for the first time in months. I've also noticed a drastic slow down in our grass growth; this was the first weekend since March that I didn't have to mow the lawn. Daytime highs are still in the mid-90's though, so we aren't completely out of the woods.
What's slowing down growth here is the lack of rain. The clouds just turned off their spickets about 10 days ago and things are getting fairly dry. One positive thing is that the high pressure hovering over Florida is what is keeping hurricane Ike off of us.
Roy Rogers
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

I plant tropical fruit just in case global warming is coming!
temperate fruits if its not!
either way all the bugs & beasts will be well fed!

solar activity is at a minimum and that usually means a colder weather trend is coming! maybe it will cancel out the warming for awhile. Go Bears!!(polar)
"Plants are people just like us"
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Still raining down here with highs around 95 and lows around 78. Somebody call off the rain..... PLEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!!
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
foxd

Post by foxd »

dudley wrote:solar activity is at a minimum and that usually means a colder weather trend is coming! maybe it will cancel out the warming for awhile. Go Bears!!(polar)
We are at the minimum of the eleven year cycle of sunspot activity. It will go back up.

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.