End of summer

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: End of summer

Post by boonut »

Roy & Mike,

You guys take it easy. Hope you and your boo stay out of the high winds. The boo will grow back, but you won't if you don't stay safe. Keep us informed and let us know you are ok.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Looks like the storm is heading towards Jim Bonner. Hope he rides it out ok.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: End of summer

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:Looks like the storm is heading towards Jim Bonner. Hope he rides it out ok.
If it stays on its current track, New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast will get a redo of Katrina, but probably worse than Katrina.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mr.mike
Location info: 0

Post by mr.mike »

I've been picking up out side too. Found the top my only D. hamiltonii shoot of this year laying in the neighbors yard 25' from the plant! Real gusty out there now. Some of the Tuldoides culms are bending to the ground and they're 25 to 30 footers.

Oh, and I have no one to nag me here! Been single all of my 55 years! :lol:

It was busy though in the front yard last night with the fire dept, sheriff's dept, tampa electric and a couple dozen neighbors pounding down 'cold ones' while watching a 7000 volt electric line burn the crap out of my mail box and front yard for 55 minutes straight. The mail in the box survived, believe it or not. It was all junk mail except for the .....ELECTRIC BILL!!! Haah!

Enjoy,

Mike
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

mike,
better check the next bill. they may charge you for the 7000 volts for 55 minutes... and the "cold ones" too!
boonut

Post by boonut »

mr.mike wrote: It was busy though in the front yard last night with the fire dept, sheriff's dept, tampa electric and a couple dozen neighbors pounding down 'cold ones' while watching a 7000 volt electric line burn the crap out of my mail box and front yard for 55 minutes straight. The mail in the box survived, believe it or not. It was all junk mail except for the .....ELECTRIC BILL!!! Haah!

Enjoy,

Mike
That is just too cool. I saw the picture you posted. You can see several people in the background... :occasion5:
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mr.mike
Location info: 0

Post by mr.mike »

I will check my bill. Ya can't trust those utility companies all the time.

The old guys across the street were enjoying a few cold ones while my mail box burned. You can't believe how cool is is to see the chunks of glass made by the power, toasting the sand. I'll get a few pictures of it tomorrow and post them up. Some of the chunks are as big as a kids lunch box.

The guy on the right is the former Mayor of this little town.

Mike

ps. I added a few more "Fire" pictures in the 'other' photo's section. Enjoy!
Roy

Post by Roy »

Mike,

You really did have some excitement in your neighborhood!

Roy Rogers
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

I truly feel for you gents in the Gulf coast. We have winds here, but they come from only 1 direction (as a rule) and almost always without rain, which would add to the load.....

Our prayers are with you all this weekend...
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

I can tell it is getting to be autumn... at 10:22 PM it is only 79*. I've been enjoying spending the evenings in the back yard without sweating. :D
Roy

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:I can tell it is getting to be autumn... at 10:22 PM it is only 79*. I've been enjoying spending the evenings in the back yard without sweating. :D
But what's your humidity level?

At 11:45 p.m. in Tampa it's 82 F with 78 percent humidity.
Roy Rogers
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

10:51 PM CDT.

78.4* & 78% humidity. Heat index is 81*, so it is pleasant. :)
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

When was Summer? Here the weather has been colder than normal all year except for a few days when the temp shot up to near 100*F then dropped back down within a week. This past week the low temp has been below 36*F for 4 nights so a hard freeze can happen any time.

As normal I have only done about half of the work I wanted to do outside this Summer so hopefully the freeze holds off or we get a long Indian Summer after it freezes.

Bill
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

bambooweb wrote:When was Summer? Here the weather has been colder than normal all year except for a few days when the temp shot up to near 100*F then dropped back down within a week. This past week the low temp has been below 36*F for 4 nights so a hard freeze can happen any time.

As normal I have only done about half of the work I wanted to do outside this Summer so hopefully the freeze holds off or we get a long Indian Summer after it freezes.

Bill
Bill,

It is clear that you are experiencing a phenomenon of global warming.... :D

Seriously, we are experiencing over 100 degrees today, but cooling later this week but staying in the 90's for the next few days. It does cool at night and it feels more humid than normal......

It makes me want to do some late season planting, but of course if I do, we will be getting your temps almost immediately.

I hope you get a little more Fahrenheit before the winter.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
boonut

Post by boonut »

Man, I am too busy sweating to even think about freezing yet. I just wish it would stop raining. If I get any more rain, I am going to have to build a houseboat and live on it. Haven't been able to cut the grass at the farm since two weeks before the hurricane. Still can't cut the grass. Water is standing in some areas.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm