anyone grow figs?

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Flashburn
Location info: 0

anyone grow figs?

Post by Flashburn »

I have never even seen a fig tree. I am guessing there are not many in Oregon. But it looks like they will grow just fin in my location.

Are figs good off the tree?
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

RE: anyone grow figs?

Post by ghmerrill »

Yep, figs do just fine in our location, and you can eat them right off the tree! I have tried to grow them several times, however, the roots are apparently very attractive to gophers, so most have perished.... I have one still in the ground from last year, and with liberal applications of castor oil around it, it is still alive, so I am hoping to finnaly have one that makes it. I dont know about up there, but down here on the southern end of the state, there are quite a few that I have seen. Most are really just large shrubs, but a few have made it to treehood.

Gene
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I have had a number of fig trees over the years. You have to get them quick before the birds do.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I mistakenly bought a Chicago Fig Tree from Lowes, thinking it would survive our winters with no problem. After a bit of research, the only way I see it surviving is if I actively winterize it. :(

It did produce two small, but tasty, figs. No problems with either birds or woodchucks, but that is probably due to my planting it in my garden area that is enclosed by the Trellis of Doom.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

In the San Joaquin Valley, fig trees (edible figs, of course) grow like weeds. They are evergreen there and produce like crazy.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

i grow black and white fig varieties. they do well without much attention here!
my question is, why do i grow them.
my dad says they taste great to him and he loves figs!
to me...nuttin. theyre just kinda tasteless and wierd.
"Plants are people just like us"
rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

I have an Walker Fig, at least that's what my dad said it was when we dug up the rooted limb in his yard. These figs are purple, the size of a ratchet ball and pretty tasty, and I'm not a fig eater. My granddaughter loves them but she's too young to think they look gross. I have to fight the birds for them and now fruit flies. I have heard that it is best to plant them next to a building, somehow they benefit from the concrete. I whack the limbs off pretty close to the ground in early spring/late winter because the figs are produced on new wood. My trees lose their leaves about this time of year, so the ones in the San Joaquin Valley must be an evergreen variety.

Best use of figs: Strawberry Fig Preserves, yum, yum.
robbase
Zone 6a

Post by robbase »

I too bought a Chicago Fig last year from Lowe's. I grew it in a container and kept in my unheated garage all winter. It looked ok this year but I think it quickly outgrew its pot and did not grow much. I think during its dormant period I am going to repot to a very large pot. The figs taste great.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I took a cutting today to try and root. (Also dug up one of the Passiflora suckers to try to root and keep it alive this winter.)

Since I use clear plastic cups, I will know fairly quickly if it has rooted.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Couple pics of my lil potted fig

CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

lance... what type fig tree is that?
Large fruit in a small planter... nice
How do they taste?
Blessings
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I bought it from gurney's a couple years back. Think it suppose to be the common brown turkey. The first ones I tasted earlier were good, nothing spectacular though. But those fruits had formed last fall and then when I put it out this spring, they matured. So maybe they'll even taste better when not interrupted. I love fruit, so fig growing is here to stay
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Hmm they look different that the turkey variety I see here at the local farmers market in Raleigh, NC. I received a small peice of Chicago fig in a 10 gallon planter and its taking off!!

I need to do some homework and find out how to best care for it. Wondering if it will be fine in the planter of do better in the ground.

It handles the cold here apparently because the lady I received it from has 4 huge trees on her awesome property. I picked 100+ figs in 5 minutes and didnt move my feet!!! just stretched up from under the canopy and picked away!!

Blessings,
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
foxd

Post by foxd »

I am trying to root a cutting from the Chicago Fig just to provide a backup in case the one planted outside doesn't make it through the winter. So far I am not to hopeful about it. I've had no luck with rooting Flying Dragon or Quince.

On the bright side, I have had good luck with rooting tomato cuttings and the Passiflora experiment looks hopeful.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.