LED Lights

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

LED Lights

Post by foxd »

From time to time I check up on various subjects and technologies, just to see if there is anything new. While checking up on LED grow lights I found these!

http://www.ledgrowth.com/

At $39.72 a piece they are pretty tempting. While more than the cost of a two foot fluorescent fixture and two bulbs, it is a definite drop in price. Besides, I get tired of replacing the fixture everytime the bulbs go and take out the fixture electronics. :evil:

Now all I have to do is wait for one of the two foot fluorescent fixtrures to die. No rush.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: LED Lights

Post by bepah »

What spectrum do they deliver?

On another topic, when I move thing inside, I also would like a little heat generated, as it gets really cold sometimes.....
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
foxd

Re: RE: LED Lights

Post by foxd »

bepah wrote:What spectrum do they deliver?
The LED lights use red and blue LEDs. The GROLUX fluorescents I use also have peaks in the red and blue parts of the spectrum. They are much more energy efficient in delivering light the plants can actually use for photosynthesis than the wide spectrum lights.

After much thought and experimentation, my ideal grow light would have a large emitting area, low heat and concentrate light in the red & blue parts of the spectrum. The LED grow lights meet these criteria.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

Thanks. Definitely something I am interested in, as I am planning a garage conversion to a high end greenhouse/planting shed.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
foxd

Post by foxd »

Wile in at Sam's Club today I noticed LED lights designed to replace 40W bulbs and they were at a reasonable price. (3 for $15) We have officially began the migration to LED lighting in our home. If the price I paid for these LED bulbs is any indication, LED plant lights may soon fall in price.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

This is developing faster than anticipated. What color is the light? Is it close to natural light? How many watts do the bulbs use?
Thanks.
--Mike
foxd

Post by foxd »

Thuja wrote:This is developing faster than anticipated. What color is the light? Is it close to natural light? How many watts do the bulbs use?
Thanks.
The LED bulbs are supposed to put out the same amount of light as a 40W bulb, but onlyy uses something like 2 Watts. (I don't have the package in front of me at the moment in order to give an exact figure.)

The package did describe them as putting out a warm white light. I put four of them in the bathroom to replace some failed fluorescents in there. (The bathroom has been very hard on compact fluorescent lights. :? )
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

JeffreyDV

Post by JeffreyDV »

Foxd,

How is the color of the lights? Most white LEDs have a blue hue that I would not want in a household fixture.

Thanks.
Jeff
foxd

Post by foxd »

JeffreyDV wrote:Foxd,

How is the color of the lights? Most white LEDs have a blue hue that I would not want in a household fixture.

Thanks.
They definitely do not have a blue hue. In fact the light looks like it is from an incandescent bulb. Only when you look closely at the bulb do you see that it is filled with LEDs.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Rick
dependable

Post by dependable »

I run some house led s that I got from c crane co. I like the blue hue for night and outside lights. They have a new line that are brighter and yellow, but they are a bit spendy.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I suspect there is a phosphor excited by ultraviolet in the LEDs that are used in the bulb I bought. It would make sense and explain why they glow slightly for a bit after I turn off the bathroom light.

On the creepy side, the ones I put in another room glow slightly more BEFORE I turn on the light. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

dependable

Post by dependable »

Some of the 120 v leds in my house have a light glow when off. leds can run at very low volts, so any ghost electrons running around in the house wires can glow them.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I bought a couple bulbs: 1.5W (18LEDs) and 3.5W. Their light seems to tend toward the blue, especially compared to incandescent, but I like the cool light effect. The 3.5W works well in a recessed ceiling light.

Does anyone know if you can use a dimmer switch on these?
--Mike
foxd

Post by foxd »

Thuja wrote:Does anyone know if you can use a dimmer switch on these?
It should say on the package if they are.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.