Getting ready for Spring!!!!

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Getting ready for Spring!!!!

Post by rfgpitt »

The stuff in my garage is at an all time high. I got a few divisions sent to me already this year, and made a few others. My dad is hooking me up w/ 55gal barrels. Got a decent sized pot at a warehouse club for $10. All I need now is the weather to change!

Bored on Lunch:
Rick
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Nice grouping, good color. I like the way the shape moves toward the foreground, and the watering can seems to float above it all. :cyclopsani:
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Yeah, I'm pumped up for spring 2006. The most hectic season of all. I have many bamboo, trees, vegetables, and thistles to plant to keep me busy this spring. I usually plant so much that I'm sick of it by May, until next spring rolls in, refreshed from the slow winter season.

8)
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

Rick- nice design. You might win at the Philadelphia garden show if you enter it. :wink: Looks like you need a good division of semiarundinaria fastuosa to fill that barrel 8)
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

booking, would you consider that this pot would need a division of semiarundinaria fastuosa added to it?

8) Where pot is dime a dozen 8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

More like a forest of semiarundinaria to make a dent in all that wide open space... :lol: . I wish I had that kind of land, though, not the cold climate that comes along with it. :wink: I see a wheelbarrow and Rintintin in there. 2 of man's bestfriends.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

Lance,

When in the year does that tank ever fill? Are you digging it deeper to save all that rain you get using that wheelbarrow? Those dry tanks are a good place to get sandy potting soil though. :D

S. fastuosa has really deep rhizomes and is relatively drought hardy here, however, it may be too cold in Iowa for it to do well.

Mike near Brenham TX
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

We've been going on below normal rainfall for nearly 6 years, so the pond is admittedly stressed. The other 2 ponds are dry currently. Usually the spring rains or snowmelt fill it up. But as you can see, there isn't any snow.

Yeah, I see some rocky sandy soil in there. Also some rich black dirt. But why did I have a wheelbarrow in it? I'll get a pic up sometime and show. And NO, it doesn't have to do with the bobbsey twins.

Booking, if you ever do have any extra rhizomes of semi fastuosa, I wouldn't mind a few to try. I don't know how well the top would survive. But the root system should be fine, even in el iowa frozenato.

8)
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I wanna see a pic of Booking's garage. My basement is fuller than I had planned. My original plans were to avoid growing tons of stuff in the house over winter, but... Oh well. Next time I'm going to try Rick's organized diagram technique. 8)

I agree with David, that floating sprinkling can is awe inspiring. Soon that garage door will open, and the sun will shine all season once again.
--Mike
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

I really did just move everything there for the pic. My wife would not accept my addiction if she would have to park outside.
Suprised no one called me on the grass seed????
Rick
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

I saw that but I thought you were just using it for form and color, you know the poetic licence kind of thing. :wink:
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Yes, for me the grass seed ties everything together. I immediately know the groundcover is monocots and Poaceae.
--Mike
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

fastuosa

Post by kstanwick »

I got one from fred but sad to say it didn't survive. I think Brad suggested a diff. sp. simliar to that which might be a bit hardier. I was bummed i lost it.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Planting grass around bamboo is an ego booster for it. The bamboo sees its little cousins and gains confidence.

It also acts as a fertilizing guide for me. When the grass gets burned up from the amount of fertilizer put down, I know the bamboo has enough. (ok, I'm not really serious here, but it would be about right)
Rick
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Are you digging it deeper to save all that rain you get using that wheelbarrow

Not boo island, that will be set for a date in the long future. But willow island(weeping willow stuck in the middle of the lump of soil). This is for the canadians that have visited us for the past decade. I thought I would be nice and build them an island. Hopefully, we can get some water sometime so it can actually look like an island. I saw the pair of c. geese were back today, but my d.camera can't zoom and get such a splendid pic.

8) What's time to a monkey? 8)