Mantis infestation

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Mantis infestation

Post by mantis »

I didn't know if this post should go in Humor, Pests, or Off-topic...

For my birthday a couple weeks ago my wife bought some Praying Mantis eggs balls for me. Each ball contained approximately 200 eggs. Instructions said "hang ball by string on a tree branch." We've been so busy that we never got around to hanging them outside, so they've been sitting on our kitchen counter. Well they decided to hatch in the kitchen. Little mantises EVERYWHERE!

I don't know if I should :lol: :cry: :shock: or :oops:
mantis

RE: Mantis infestation

Post by mantis »

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

ouch! the bright side is that I would bet your kids are having a grand time with all the little creepy crawlies to catch!
If it was my wife, she would tell me
"im at my parents house, call me when they are gone" :lol:
mantis

Re: RE: Mantis infestation

Post by mantis »

ghmerrill wrote:ouch! the bright side is that I would bet your kids are having a grand time with all the little creepy crawlies to catch!
If it was my wife, she would tell me
"im at my parents house, call me when they are gone" :lol:
My wife is laughing about it. She stopped trying to move them outside, and just took the screen off the window and left the door open. I guess they are migrating on their own.

At least they should help keep the fruit flies at bay. :lol:
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

LOL
MarCat
Dang banged my head when I fell out of my chair.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I did that one year. We take the egg case out of the fridge about now, and it seems to always hatch around Father's Day (strangely, usually ON Father's Day every year). One year we had the jar lid slightly off (for air) and they took over the kitchen.

Last year we didn't have any cases to overwinter in the fridge, but we were sitting on the deck when a swarm of the little guys emerged from under the deck and over us. I like to spread them around the yard and keep track of them over the summer (they don't move very much if they find a good spot).

They're really cool when they're small like that. I've got lots of photos and movies of hatchings (and mantises in general) if anybody is interested.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

WAAAAAY too funny!!! :lol: :lol:

My dad tells friends of the time I grew fruit flies in high school and they got out all over the house. Dad was not a happy camper back then... good thing he thinks it is funny now. He is 80. Brought back many memories.

I'll bet your kids had fun!!!
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Where did she get them from? I got a good laugh out of this :P
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

She got them from a nursery called Enchanted Forest. It is only a couple miles from our house.
GungHoJoe
Location info: 0

Re: RE: Mantis infestation

Post by GungHoJoe »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Where did she get them from? I got a good laugh out of this :P
I can't resist. I just got some online here.