HR 875

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: HR 875

Post by foxd »

On the other hand, I am suspicious about how the rumor spread. It was too fast, like someone maintains an email distribution list but wants to remain hidden. It makes me think that someone wants to remain hidden.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

RE: HR 875

Post by Mike McG »

The problem with this bill is that it potentially opens the door for massive Federal intervention in the "food" chain. An example is defining a farm as a food production facility without further definition leaving it up to the FDA to interpret how big (how much production) a farm/garden is covered or even whether it is commercial or not. As I read the bill it also covers the intrastate (local) production and use of most food rather than just interstate.

A lot of groups are against this bill because it because it is so general, so undefined, and could potentially be used to attack their food production niche. For example, animal manures or compost used by organic growers might be banned without paturization and outside testing for pathogens prior to use. Raw milk and cheese might be banned at the federal level.

Personally I drink pasteurized milk and use commercially produced chemical fertilizers, but I am very much against Federal bureaucracy to limit the right of others to do what they want. If they want to drink raw milk and understand the risks then that choice should be up to them. I do very much support truth in advertising and labeling, and significant liabilities if they are untruthful.

If this law is passed I expect there will be plenty of lobbyists trying to get a favorable response from the FDA for their product and restrictions on the competition. I have no faith in the FDA to look out for the smaller producers or consumers vs the large commercial producers based on their track record with the pharmaceutical industry.

Mike near Brenham TX