ABS Conference

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

ABS Conference

Post by bambooweb »

A number of us arrived at the hotel today before tomorrows board meeting.
Steve and Judy Stamper, David King, George ?, Sue Turtle, James Clever, Ned Jaquith and I went out to dinner and drinks. Back at the hotel we met up with Bill King and Andy Ringle.

I have not started on my talk for friday. :oops:

Bill
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: ABS Conference

Post by mantis »

Just like the typical college student... drinking during the week, and leaving the homework for the last minute. :lol:
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

The board meeting actually went well but still lasted from 9:00 til 5:00.

Last night we went to an Irish pub for dinner and I sat across the table from Mike Bell and we had a good talk.

After dinner I set up the room for today's talk by Triplett, Clark and Fisher.

Last night Jimmy Triplett shared the room with James Clever and myself so this morning we talked as we got ready for todays presentations.

The best part of these conferences is the people outside the presentations. :D :occasion5:

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

Everyone must be having a blast (or you kidnapped them all) because I haven't heard from anyone since they arrived.

I wish I could have made it... well, unless you did kidnap everyone. :laughing1:
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I think Brad forgot to turn his computer off before he left- every time I get on it shows him as "online".
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Almost...I did not go this year and instead am sitting at my desk at work. I leave a tab open to this page and check in about 2.4million times per day as I have DSL here and only can get dial-up at home so very little web browsing at home anymore.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I will post more and send out all of the auction results after I recover. A week of getting up before 6:00 and staying up till after 11:00 along with the stress of putting on the conference and doing a presentation and the auction can be hard on a person, especially when we had to do in depth beer testing in the bars around the hotel. :laughing5:

It was a great time and I can't wait till next year in Savanna, GA and Avery Island, LA in 2011. Florida is also penciled in for 2012.

Thanks to everyone that showed up or donated items for the auctions. :D

Bill
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Its a big sacrifice Bill! Im sure all in attendence really appreciated you making sure the beer was up to par however!
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote: It was a great time and I can't wait till next year in Savanna, GA and Avery Island, LA in 2011. Florida is also penciled in for 2012.

Bill
It appears that the south is taking over... Is this what is meant by "The south will rise again"? :lol:
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

mantis wrote:It appears that the south is taking over... Is this what is meant by "The south will rise again"? :lol:
The last two years have been in the West so now is the Souths turn. We will have to get foxd and needmore to have the midstates chapter so the center of the country is represented. :mrgreen:

I just got into Baton Rouge for work but I have high speed internet at the hotel and I should be able to work on the auction and describing the conference at night. I did video most of the conference but now my camera is a couple of thousand miles away so working on the video will have to wait.

Bill
millerlightman02
Location info: 46

Post by millerlightman02 »

That would be great if needmore and foxed were to volunteer "hint" hint " .I would definatly have to join the ABS then. :D
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:
I just got into Baton Rouge for work but I have high speed internet at the hotel and I should be able to work on the auction and describing the conference at night. I did video most of the conference but now my camera is a couple of thousand miles away so working on the video will have to wait.

Bill
Nice, doing scouting for the 2011 conference? :clown:

And all I want to know about the auction is if I got stuck with the parvifolia, or if someone saved me. :mrgreen:
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

millerlightman02 wrote:That would be great if needmore and foxed were to volunteer "hint" hint " .I would definatly have to join the ABS then. :D
You'd have to join ABS before I'd even think about volunteering...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

needmore wrote:
millerlightman02 wrote:That would be great if needmore and foxed were to volunteer "hint" hint " .I would definatly have to join the ABS then. :D
I'll second that and add that the Midstates Chapter can use more members to help run a conference.

BTW, I'm back from the conference, but still not recovered from the trip. I had to give our housesitter a lift back to Indy which left me a bit short on sleep. I haven't even had time to check the bamboos yet, except for the M. baccifera which looks much bigger than I remember it. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

foxd wrote:
needmore wrote:
I'll second that and add that the Midstates Chapter can use more members to help run a conference.

BTW, I'm back from the conference, but still not recovered from the trip. I had to give our housesitter a lift back to Indy which left me a bit short on sleep. I haven't even had time to check the bamboos yet, except for the M. baccifera which looks much bigger than I remember it. :?

well, at least that tells you one of two things:

1) the housesitter kept the cat out just like you asked,
or
2) the housesitter did NOT keep the cat out, like you asked,
and the only bamboo that home depot had left was a slightly larger P. aurea, but since all bamboo looks the same, the housesitter thougth you would never notice! :oops: