Wind chimes

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Wind chimes

Post by foxd »

Wiping off the oils is usually recommended because you don't get all of them and it helps spread what remains over the cane.

I must admit I have recently been waiting until the cane cools and then using steel wool on the surface.

Rubbing the cane with acetone first seems to make polyurethane varnish stick better. I haven't done as much testing of this as I would like, but it appears to work. I did do a simple test where I left a cane treated with acetone and poly varnish along with a cane treated with Hydrogen peroxide and poly varnish outside over most of the Winter. (Forgot the control cane, but considering how little effect the H2O2 had on the surface I was willing to consider it the control.) The canes were lost in the snow for over a month or so. When found again the poly was peeling off the cane treated with Hydrogen peroxide, but no peeling was found on the acetone treated cane. The bond of the poly varnish to the cane seems very good.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Thanks Dan. Wish it didn't take something as nasty as acetone though. :( Roughing with sandpaper isn't enough?
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Thanks Dan. Wish it didn't take something as nasty as acetone though. :( Roughing with sandpaper isn't enough?
Sanding off the outer layer should work to make the poly varnish stick. The acetone was quick and easy though.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.