FINALLY!!!!!!

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

bigone5500

FINALLY!!!!!!

Post by bigone5500 »

We are getting a rain storm! And I JUST got done putting more manure on my bamboos! Couldn't have timed it any better.

I should definitely see some boo action tomorrow!
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: FINALLY!!!!!!

Post by needmore »

Very dry here as well, we had rain a few weeks back in large quantities but none lately and lots of wind, I have already had to water 400 pots and I don't recall ever doing so this early. Hope neither of us are back in the drought again, I already expect a poor shooting season from it but we'll see...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Yay! It has been cool and rainy 3 days straight here, totalling about 5 inches so far, so I am hoping for some boo action this week too. My bamboo shoots have grown very little the last 3 days, but I would expect those and the Aureosulcata Alata and Spectabilis shoots to really take off once the Sun comes back out and it warms back up. I am hoping it will also trigger my Musa basjoos and Thailand Giant elephant ears to start growing!

Speaking of rain after applying fertilizer, my neighbors must think I am nuts since I am often seen in a coat and hat fertilzing plants during a rain. Right or wrong, I am conviced that is the best way to minimize the chance of burning my plants, especially the ones that get fertilized heavily like the bamboos!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

needmore wrote:Very dry here as well, we had rain a few weeks back in large quantities but none lately and lots of wind, I have already had to water 400 pots and I don't recall ever doing so this early. Hope neither of us are back in the drought again, I already expect a poor shooting season from it but we'll see...
Brad, here we often have a rainy March and April but a droughty summer. Am I right in assuming that this will make a good shooting season but many shoots will abort mid-growth if I don't irrigate during the drier months of summer? There is a feral grove of Vivax (I think) close to my house that has some 4 inch culms that have aborted at about 15 feet or so in height (they actually look pretty neat, as sometimes they leaf out toward the top with very short branches). I suspect that the droughty summer may cause this, but I also suspect that the county sprays herbicide on the road shoulders around here, so perhaps that could be it.
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Robbie78

Post by Robbie78 »

Im jelious, here in the PNW weve had record rains this year, we still havent got above 60 degrees, and its rained 29 out of 30 days this March, where I live in the columbis river gorge we have gotten over 13 inches pf rain this month and the only thing really shooting is my robusta. My bamboo are craving some warm weather
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I am already 5" behind with only .2" in March.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas