Rabbit Manure

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

Rabbit Manure

Post by jpluddite »

Howdy folks.

I just collected some rabbit manure from a local breeder. It consists of rabbit waste and straw.

How does rabbit manure compare to other forms?

How long should I age it before I use it on garden beds (including my bamboo beds)?

Any ideas about how I should compost it? Can I put it in the compost bins with other stuff?

jp
dependable

Re: Rabbit Manure

Post by dependable »

How many (cubic) yards do you have? Safe just to put on your favorite plants in reasonable quantities.
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Thanks Dependable.

I probably have about half a cubic yard, but I can get more.

The stuff I've read about it online is all over the place. Some say rabbit manure is hot; others that it's cold.

It doesn't smell bad except for the stuff that is soaked in urine. I put it in a compost bin for now because it's mixed with straw and what appears to be wood shavings of some kind. I don't know how long it will take to decompose.

Have you used it before? What can you tell me about it. I'm desperate for a good source, like you!

Thanks,

jp
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

As far as I know it can be used immediately. It shouldn't burn the roots. Perhaps the urine is hot, but I think rabbit manure should be safe.
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Hi Tarzanus. Thanks for the response.

Assuming the urine soaked straw is hot, how long does it have to sit before I can put it on the vegetable garden?

Cheers,

jp
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I guess its as hot as if you or neighbors dog would decide to sprinkle some urine on your bamboo. :mrgreen:
In high concentrations urine is going to burn roots, especially with plants that were not completely established yet. I think an inch or two thick layer of rabbit manure, even if it contains urine, mixed with some mulch (wood shavings, straw, pine bark, peat moss ...) shouldn't present a problem. If bamboo is still young, you can start with smaller amounts and then re-apply after a while.

PS: I thing dogs love to pee on my bamboo, which got kind of oily patches on lower leaves several times this year when there was no rain. The branches that were "hit" the most, lost most of the leaves, but there are dozens of branches emerging, which means there was only minimal damage. Bamboo grows normally despite being "watered" on regular basis. :drunken:
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Thanks Tarzanus.

jp
rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Rabbit Manure

Post by rickw »

I apply fresh horse manure and soiled stall shavings to all my bamboo with no ill effects, rabbit should be no problem.