Trimmer line for deer protection

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Trimmer line for deer protection

Post by dependable »

Last year when I put up this fence, I was going to staple galvanized fence wire up above to discourage deer. I remembered an old spool of .130 trimmer line (too thick for the trimmer heads I usually use). It has held up well and was cheeper and a lot easyer to work with.
Attachments
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Trimmer line for deer protection

Post by foxd »

I discovered yesterday that the deer had gone after the Mimosa tree, going so far as to physically crush the anti-deer fence by falling on it. :shock:

New anti-deer fencing installed making use of a lot of the bamboo that had earlier been damaged by the tree being uprooted during the windstorm last year. The new defences are ten foot tall, durable and somewhat scary looking.

I checked it this morning and it has held so far against the deer onslaught.

As a side note, I did see an animal resembling the media reports of a Chupacabra nearby. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Dan, I didn't realize the Chupacabra was hardy to zone 6 :lol:
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

bamboothew wrote:Dan, I didn't realize the Chupacabra was hardy to zone 6 :lol:
Nor the Coati that was running around this city after jumping off a container ship.
Last edited by johnw on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd

Post by foxd »

johnw wrote:
bamboothew wrote:Dan, I didn't realize the Chupacabra was hardy to zone 6 :lol:
Nor the Coati that was running around in this city after jumping off a ship.
Thank goodness we don't have Mongolian Death Worms to worry about.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dependable

Post by dependable »

You all sound like you've been listening to the Art Bell show. No cuprachabras here, but coyote hybrids may have been seen here recently. Missing a cat. This thread is drifting from it's original practical intention. (please imagine the smilie face of your choice). No problemo.
foxd

Post by foxd »

dependable wrote:You all sound like you've been listening to the Art Bell show. No cuprachabras here, but coyote hybrids may have been seen here recently. Missing a cat. This thread is drifting from it's original practical intention. (please imagine the smilie face of your choice). No problemo.
It was a nasty hairless looking creature whatever it was. And since it didn't appear to have a license animal control won't do anything about it whatever it is. :evil:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

oZmonKey

Post by oZmonKey »

How's the trimmer line held up, is it.. Dependable?
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

I use a similar concept, but instead of trimmer line I use bailing twine. It is very strong stuff and UV resistant. It is also cheap. I use it to help keep the deer out of my blueberries and cane berries. I used a roll of the 7 foot tall 'deer netting' that they sell at Lowes, stretched around 8 foot lengths of 2 inch PVC pipe put over 6 foot t-posts pounded into the ground (spaced 10 feet apart). At the top and middle and bottom I ran lengths of bailing twine woven through the netting and ran it through holes drilled into the PVC pipe. Then I added two more runs of the twine at the top (like barbed wire) and tied flags made from cut up plastic bags along the top runs to make the deer aware that something was up there. I also added the plastic flags along the sides of the netting for the same reason, and staked down the lower twine line to keep them from nosing under the fence. Last year I had no deer get into the netted area. They did come here many times and went through the bamboo nursery to eat the small alder sprouts in there (they completely ignore the boos).
Happy trails...
dependable

Post by dependable »

The trimmer line has faded some, but is holding up well. It was originally installed in spring of 2011.

Bailing twine would cheeper no doubt. But I had this around.