Germinating seeds with polymer water crystals or beads

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Germinating seeds with polymer water crystals or beads

Post by stevelau1911 »

One idea that I thought up of is to germinate seeds on top of water crystals. This spring I used them to mix into the soil for germinating vegetable seeds, and overall it appeared to lead to seedlings with a better start than the ones planted outside of the areas with just plain soil. This could potentially work well with just germinating seeds.

Here is a time lapse video showing what I'm talking about.

http://gardening.yardener.com/Yardeners ... orbingGels
justin venter
Location info: 0

Re: Germinating seeds with polymer water crystals or beads

Post by justin venter »

Hi stevelau1911
This is a great idea, as it keeps moisture levels constant.
Please post more results. I just received a batch of moso seeds that I am ready to germinate.
I have given some thought to an agar-agar germinating medium. My concern is that the medium will dry too soon and there is a possibility that mold will inhabit the surface of the medium.
Wannabe Green Thumb.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Germinating seeds with polymer water crystals or beads

Post by stevelau1911 »

I've found that gel based substances have oil in them which inhibit root growth, and is not very good for sprouting moso seeds. Agar is usually used in tissue culture. If you are just growing seedlings, some kind of well aerated professional potting mix will work fine.

Let us know if any of your seedlings turn out to be anything special. There's already over a dozen moso cultivars, but I think it's possible for more emerge spontaneously.