Is summer like weather already over?

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Is summer like weather already over?

Post by stevelau1911 »

Looking at the August forecasts, it looks like they are looking for temperatures in the 50-70F range, definitely not really summerlike, and we've had some chilly nights recently. Does this mean an early end to summer?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... r/15734257

I know rhizome growth has barely started on some of my bamboos so if summer like temperatures are just about over, then it will be a big disappointment. At least I'm already getting some vegetables to start producing, but I'm still hoping that we have a couple more 90F days.
JWH
Location info: 0

Re: Is summer like weather already over?

Post by JWH »

No complaints here, the weather has been warm and dry for over a month. NOAA's forecasts have been pretty much spot on here this year.
Attachments
image.jpg
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I know that forecasts can always change by quite a bit, but based on the graph, they are forecasting temperatures to be way below average next month which would really mess up the production in my garden, and perhaps fail to really initiate the bamboo running season if the soil never gets warm enough.

marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Crap I am in the hot air confined area...5 th year of drought...#%&&$
marcat
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Well, over 14 days of 30C + here without any rain. Today it's 38C with quite strong southern wind. Everything is drying out if not watered on a daily basis. We've hardly seen sun this winter, spring and early summer with temperatures well below average, but now it seems things will even out. It all seems we'll break record high temperature today for this area. All time record.

Forcast tells us we'll got hit by cold front that will create thunderstorms and cool off the atmosphere to,... brrrrr, cold 32C. After that, another heat wave, north-eastern wind this time.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Dont worry steve, there is still plenty of time for heat. Environent canada will bring out their next month forcast in a few days. Ill post it
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

We're about spot on weather-wise. Highs mid-70's and lows about 60F, which is par for the course on the coast. Nice & even temps, today I stay in the shade as reaching my limit.

Tarzanus, astounding temperatures in Europe, even the night-time temps are obscene.
Attachments
IMG-20130728-04688.jpg
Last edited by johnw on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

The weathernetwork is forcasting low to mid 20s for high over the next few weeks. Night temps will be in the low to mid teens. Even though it is not quite summer-like weather, I think bamboos will love it just fine. I like it, and I am certainly less cold tolerant than any bamboo out there.

I can see two rhizomes from my Parvifolia. One, posted earlier has decided to curve up and become a whip shoot. The other one still lay horizontal to the ground, seemingly undecided what it wants to do.
I found that once a rhizome is exposed to the air, its growth slows down and even stopped for several days. I wonder which part of the plant makes the decision of whether it should grow up or down.

Also found a dolphining Atrovaginata rhizome under a brick.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I think that rhizome vs shoot growth is based off of a variety of factors such as the energy cycle, seasonal cycle, climate, weather conditions, starch levels, plant hormones, species, shoot bud maturity, etc.

One thing that I do find which seems to be fairly consistent with most bamboos is that true shoots generally come up in the spring, and shooting seems to stop, or abort once rhizome growth is initiated, unless that shoot is a dolphin or whip shoot.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
JWH

Post by JWH »

"Seattle is set to go dry through July for just the fifth time since 1891 and will for the first time ever, have a totally dry month in consecutive years (remember we didn't get any rain last August as well.)"

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/s ... 21741.html

We *might* get some rain on August 1st & 2nd woohoo!
dependable

Post by dependable »

Seemed hot & humid today, lots of bad air coming in from midwest & eastern line of cities. It was worse last week. Some thunderstorms and rain events now and then. :]

I like my job working outdoors, but prefer all other seasons over summer due to my work and location.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

I cant imagine a more average summer temp wise. Besides 3 weeks in june this has been a soaker of a summer though. Nice to see Superior filling back up
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Been fargesia growing weather here for a couple of weeks and more on the extended forecast, 15F below normal. Glad it is not winter when this pattern arrived.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Brad, im with you. The winds have been mainly from the east, which is weird. At least as consistant as it has been. I would have gotten lake effect snow. I would probably have 6 feet of snow by now or more...... just slightly above "average" amounts, which we havnt gotten for 20 years.