Small introduction

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Small introduction

Post by Tarzanus »

I don't have that many species and bamboo varieties planted here, but as far as I've seen, Phyllostachys aureosulcata is just as hardy if not hardier than most Fargesias. This year we've been hit by cold wave and tender bamboos suffered quite a bit. Well, Fargesia murielae and Fargesia denudata refused to show ANY damage while it was cold, but they both start autumn-like yellowing when temperature finally rose to around 10C for about a week. That makes me think they did suffer from thirst during the cold weather or maybe when it was over and cold soil didn't allow water to move fast enough around the plant's tissues.
Aureosulcata, on the other hand, shows no damage. Not even one leaf wilted, it's even darker green than before winter started. Not even one of the leaves yellowed, not in fall and not now after the cold.

I think that most of Fargesias got their extreme hardiness grades because they easily got burried under a pile of snow. Large Fargesia clump can be totally covered by only 10 inches of snow. Phyllostachys bamboos that are much taller and grow upwards, will lean down at the same amount, but will not get nowhere near as much protected. With larger amounts of snow, roots, rhizomes and lower parts of bamboo will be well protected, high culms will bend to the ground, some of them breaking under weight of snow...

Some bamboos are meant to remain burried under thick layer of snow throughout the winter, I think Fargesias are one of those.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Tarzanus - Snow is highly unreliable here, our Fargesias and those of friends have seen low temps from -15c to -30c unburied. Those friends in the colder areas mentioned have never seen culm damage and no one protects their Fargesias; as posted Alata froze down at -22c.

My assumption is the hot summers elsewhere weaken Fargesias to the point that they cannot go through a rough winter. We see the same with rhododendron species that are deemed tender elsewhere but sail through winters here thanks to the cool summers.

Brad -any idea what the southern limit on the east coast is for nitida and murieliae - New Jersey maybe?
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

John I have no idea, I'd think anyplace with coastal moderation/elevation should work.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Ineluki

Post by Ineluki »

There has been fargesias that over winter here well and i have seen photo on finnish forum where they claimed that fargesia rufa in picture was over 10 old.Theres so huge amount things that can effect the over wintering and growth even in the same region that its impossible to say what species woud be best to try ( ofc theres no need to try moso in here : D)