One rhizome through another

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

One rhizome through another

Post by jpluddite »

Hi guys.

I was pruning around the border of my bamboo beds this weekend and found that one rhizhome had grown through another. I attached some pictures.
Attachments
side-view.JPG
rhizome-through-another.JPG
JWH

Re: One rhizome through another

Post by JWH »

Thats amazing! :shock:
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Needed stoplights at that intersection.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Thats crazy! Were both rhizomes alive one or was the split one dead? My father had told me that the rhizomes of a kind of local grass pierces right through other plants it finds on its way,doesn't turn. So it was a problem for them as it pierced through potato tubers and whatever it found on its way. If a bamboo can pierce right through another bamboo rhizome,then it won't be forgiving at all to other plants it finds on its way :roll:
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It does turn when it hits hard object and usually it won't pierce another rhizome, except if it's still fresh and soft. It could an probably would grow into and through potato.

This year I've seen a couple of shoots growing through Typha latifolia, emerging like 1m above, piercing the plant. Surprisingly both plants lived for a while, then bamboo prevailed, taking most of the sun for itself. It pierced the soft rhizome below ground and emerged inside the soft tissue of Typha and started growing normally. I noticed the shoot, when it emerged from the 'host' plant. :mrgreen:
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

I am more worried about valuable plants like tropical palms and cycads. Guess i should be on the watch...

What about irrigation tubes?