Any one else making their own brew? other non-curriculars?

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Any one else making their own brew? other non-curriculars?

Post by dependable »

For much of this year, I have taken to making my own beer.

I did all grain homebrew with a friend back in the '90's, on a similar size scale, but much more primitive, lifting and pouring hot liquids. Took two young fellers to lift the kettles.

Below are some pictures of current set up. Everything is moved around with pumps. Made the kettles out of old kegs I found doing yard clean ups.

Of course, there are digital, electric and programmable ones you could buy, but this rig is basic and effective, and relatively inexpensive.

I pump the wort, usually around 11 gallons a batch though a plate cooler down to cellar where it spends time in stable temps.. More is involved, but that is a summary. Each of the two fermenters in cellar holds a 10 or 11 gallon batch.

Any one else have other extra curricular activities bamboo?
Attachments
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG
Deane

Re: Any one else making their own brew? other non-curricular

Post by Deane »

Looks quite the set up well done
grabhorn

Post by grabhorn »

That's a beautiful rig, dependable. I'm envious. I've brewed on and off since 1995. I love it, but it's a lot of work. I haven't brewed this winter, but there's still hope. What styles do you brew? I tend to stick with ales, usually hoppy or dark. Do you keg? I still bottle, which is its own huge hassle. Great to see your system.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Usually I brew lagers, pilsner types, light bock etc with lager yeast in winter. Some crisp, some a little more malt forward. The cellar is a good temperature for fermenting lager about half the year.

When the cellar starts getting to 60F in summer, I switch to an ale yeast and brew ales. Mostly light to medium in color and body.

I like hops, but find some of the trending IPA and craft beers a little too much. Hop level I shoot for depends on ABV of particular brew. Lately have been working in some late hopping with whole leaf hops to get some flavor without too much bitter.

My brew rig was cheap and fairly easy to make. I'm sure you could get or make similar with low $ investment. Let me know if you want some pointers.

All my brew goes into 5 gallon corny kegs. Started out with bottles of course, but dealing with them on any scale takes as much time as the brewing. Forced carbonation once the brew is aged and cooled in kegs is more exact and sterile than dextrose or krausen priming. Ever have a batch of bottles explode? :)