Free to good home

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Free to good home

Post by needmore »

I have 20+ bamboo of several different species that I would like to get rid of. Some have been growing in 7 gallon squat containers and have great rhizome development/big rootballs. These guys are going to take up greenhouse space for the second year in a row and they are not really hardy to a cold zone 6.

Viridis, Robert Young, S. Okuboi, Phy. Nigra Bory, SY Kimmei, Nigra Punctata, Aurea Koi, Aurea. Some are pretty tall, none are shippable you'll have to come pick them up.

I'd like to give the whole lot to one person if possible, it would be a pick-up load. Let me know ASAP.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Mike McG
Location info: 71

RE: Free to good home

Post by Mike McG »

Brad,

A very generous offer. Hopefully some one will take them a little further south.

Are these species always top/culm killed where you are or just severly damaged? As I recall Ph. viridis is supposed to be slightly hardier than the others. Have you seen that difference.

Mike near Brenham TX
needmore

Post by needmore »

Mike, the Aurea forms, Robert Young, and SY Kimmei have never wintered over for me. The Viridis and Punctata have done so only once when we did not go lower than +3F. The Bory is slightly hardier, but the Okuboi can hang in there, last winter some top kill, some top damage but lower leaves re-leafed on some of the culms. Several of these I have to get rid of are really ready to take off in the right climate but I don't know an easy way to get them there. Here they form sprawling groves of short bamboo and I don't have enough space to keep them.

Robert Young and Aurea are zone 7 bamboos, perhaps 6b.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

Brad - As I am sure you know, the ABS lists Ph. v. 'Robert Young' as hardy to -5?F, the same as Ph. rubromarginata. My impression is that most people would perhaps list rubro as even hardier than that temperature and from what you are indicating perhaps 'Robert Young' should be listed as less hardy.

Some of the Phyllostachys do not seem to reach their full size in this part of Texas, but Ph. viridis is one of the exceptions and grows very well here. I picked up some poles from a nearby grove where the new owner had cut all the bamboo to the ground. Many of them were around 3" diameter and 50' tall. The largest one that I took was 3+" in diameter and more than 55' tall. Kinder also has some Ph viridis growing about 60 miles to the north of us that had new culms around 3" diameter last year and probably had some 3"+ this past year.

Mike near Brenham TX
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I will testify that the bamboo Brad is offering is indeed ready to take off. The P. aurea 'Koi' I got from him is putting up two more shoots to go along with the two it put up in the past couple of weeks.

Wherever the dividing line is for S.Y. 'Kimmei' surviving the winter, it is obviously close by. Mine hasn't survived the winter, but I have seen it survive 15 miles South of here. I passed on some P. aurea to see if it also survives there.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Mike, I'd peg Robert Young at around +10F for leaf damage to get serious, Aurea not much better. I had around 70% Rubro topkill at -5F last winter so that is a good guess based on what I see, it is 10 feet from Yellow Groove that had only minor leaf burn.

South of the Ohio River should be good for the Nigra forms, Viridis, SY Kimmei I think I'll see if there is a zoo in Louisville that wants bamboo.
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Can you ship them? I think I'm a bit far away for a road trip. :-)
CJ in NC
Thanks

Yea...Its me... been away for a while... work chaos!!
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
needmore

Post by needmore »

Sorry CJ, no shipping.
needmore

Post by needmore »

The plants have been adopted and are no longer available - they now live in Frankfort, KY.