Have Thyrsostachys siamensis

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Have Thyrsostachys siamensis

Post by fredgpops »

Have a T.s potted, about 2 ft tall. Had it in ground and did poorly. Took it out and potted it. Looks better but it is clear it does not like me or my ecoclimate. Would like a trade for an equally interesting plant. Rgds
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Fred how could anything not flourish in your climate and care :wink:
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Thyrsostachys siamensis

Post by Mike McG »

Fred,

I am also interested in why you believe your T. s. did not do well. Does it need high humidity and temperataures to thrive? Probably too cold in the winter and too dry in the summer here in central TX.

Mike near Brenham TX
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

BooKing wrote:Fred how could anything not flourish in your climate and care :wink:
By looking at fredgpops post and profile, how would anyone have any idea of what climate fredgpops lives in :?:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

8) WE KNOW ALL.

I checked out the invisiprofile and

Many of us get christmas presents from him :!:

8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I have traded plants with him before.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

As the old saying goes, "location, location, location". I have a hunch that
despite the fact that it comes from Thailand, it does not like a lot of water
and I get around 50 inches of rain in the winter (8 miles from coast, 600ft level Santa Cruz Mtns), the time period that it starts to go south. It has done much better in a pot that is located in a area that protects it from rain, so that adds to my theory. Lastly, because of the min temp range and the fact that I get periods of frost, I have it in an area that is protected by a canopy of trees. It may have to have full sun to thrive. This variety tells you bluntly when it is not happy - all the leaves fall off and the culms turn an ugly brown color. A bamboo grower down the road said his did the same plus it smelled bad. I'm surprised my plant has come back, a real win for my ICU unit. I don't have the time or patience for ornery bamboo so it's time to move it on. This plant came from Texas
in a trade so it appears it can make it in the lone star state. Rgds - Fred
Mike McG

Thyrsostachys siamensis

Post by Mike McG »

Fred,

Thanks for the advice on this bamboo. My expectation for a short duration minimum temperature in the winter, here where I am in TX (Half way between Houston and Austin), is 18 F. On rare occasions it can get colder and more often doesn't get quite that cold. I am willing to take winter damage but would not want to knowingly plant a bamboo or any perennial plant that would die.

A lot of plants like cycads and succulents from other countries can take hot wet conditions in the summer and cold dry conditions in the winter, but struggle when it is the other way round which is what we usually have. It sounds like your area may be similar although probably wetter and more temperate than we are.

There are several people in Houston and south that can grow more tropical bamboo than I can.

I know one individual who lives not too far from me who, as I recall, has said he has traded with you; he puts his sensitive bamboo in a large hoop house for the winter. In fact I have a couple of bamboo in pots to trade with him right now; we just have not been able to find the time to get together.

Mike near Brenham TX
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Mike - I got it from Kentuck. He's a great guy and knows his bamboo.
Rgds
Mike McG

Thyrsostachys siamensis

Post by Mike McG »

Fred,

Kentuck is about an hour drive south of me although he maybe moving closer, a little further north. You right, he is very knowledgeable, and also very generous. (Also a fellow Aggie. :D ) He has a lot of unusual bamboo. I'll have to ask him how the Thyrsostachys siamensis is doing the next time I see him if he kept some. My guess is he has it in a pot and moves it inside for the winter.

Mike near Brenham TX