False bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: False bamboo

Post by foxd »

BooKing wrote:Have you tried Petasites japonica?
I was given a couple about a month ago. So far they are not looking happy with life.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore
Location info: 0

RE: False bamboo

Post by needmore »

FoxD, there are 2 or 3 more in the bed I 'removed' them from that are doing fine if you want to come get them to see if they do better. Plus with the colony now next to the pond there will be lots more in the future.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Lance,

Have you tried Petasites japonica?
Planted a start last year.
Pics taken today.
8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

One step ahead of me I see...Here it would colonize a 20 by 20 foot area in 1 year. In 2 yrs it would quadruple that size. I gave mine away years ago, and now it is "attacking" the person I gave it too.[I warned them :lol: ]
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Yeah, I'm not seeing any insane growth by it, but it was a real small to start with.

Can petasites grow in shallow water? I'll probably have to move the petasites sometime, because the petasites is growing in a future pond site.
8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

The lady I gave it to used it in a drainage ditch, and boy it loved that...all that water collecting and running thru it. Interesting thing though, she said the deer don't eat it. :roll:
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Here's an interesting clip from DG plantfiles regarding japanese butterbur
One day, a squirrel cut off a stem and ate quite a bit of it. I found the remains of the stalk one afternoon and a dead squirrel the next morning by my garden shed. Coincidence? I told you the plant is toxic. I have learned that the stalk contains an alcaloid that degrades the liver
green99
Location: North of San Francisco 300 miles near the coast. Zone 8-9

Post by green99 »

There is no summer rain here, but some bamboos do great. If I'm not mistaken P.nigra grows larger here(northern California) than any place in the world. Other early shooters do well also, and winter shooters too.
foxd
Location info: 21

Re: RE: False bamboo

Post by foxd »

Lance wrote:Here's an interesting clip from DG plantfiles regarding japanese butterbur
One day, a squirrel cut off a stem and ate quite a bit of it. I found the remains of the stalk one afternoon and a dead squirrel the next morning by my garden shed. Coincidence? I told you the plant is toxic. I have learned that the stalk contains an alcaloid that degrades the liver
And of cource, once more, I find websites that describe it has edible.

Then again, maybe cooking eliminates the poison, but I'm not going to experiment to find out.

needmore: One of them looks like it may be pushing up another leaf, so they aren't dead yet. I'll see how they do over the summer.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Then again, maybe cooking eliminates the poison, but I'm not going to experiment to find out
Nor would you want to find out. Many sites and people describe it as awful tasting.
I would feel more content eating hackberry pulp during the casual days of life, and I'll leave cooking/eating fuki up to the people without tastebuds.

8)
needmore

Post by needmore »

The edibility reference I saw was in a book that Adam Turtle had - we looked it up - it said that you can eat the early shoots after steaming them. Hmmm....any takers out there?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

LK, is that creeping buttercup around your Petasites?
If so, don't you find it horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY! invasive?

Well, whether it is or not, you've made me VERY happy today as I suddenly realize that I left my Ranunculus problem back at my last house when I moved a month ago!
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

ONly invasive plant will be the japanese butterbur. No creeping buttercup here, nor will there be.

8)