Looking for bamboo

Moderator: needmore

nedley_mandingo
Location info: 72

Looking for bamboo

Post by nedley_mandingo »

I am in western Kentucky zone 6b and looking for running varieties that are -5F hardy or better. The only 2 I have so far are Henon and Yellow Groove. If you have any others available, please let me know what and price shipped.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: Looking for bamboo

Post by ghmerrill »

quite a few of the smaller boos, sasas and Indocalamus types do pretty well in the cold, check out some of those, you would probably find a few people with them to trade.
Spectabilis
Location info: 0

Post by Spectabilis »

Where in Western KY are you. I am in Clarksville, TN. I too am looking for boos to plant here. I have a few different types but they are still small. I see yellow groove everywhere around here.

Bryan
Bryan
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

OK, what do you more experienced bamboophiles think of:

Phyllostachys mannii 'decora'

Cold, heat, drought and stress tolerant (-10F)
Known as "Beautiful Bamboo" from where it's native
Vigorous
Over forty feet high in zone 7 Alabama

?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Mackel in DFW wrote:OK, what do you more experienced bamboophiles think of:

Phyllostachys mannii 'decora'

Cold, heat, drought and stress tolerant (-10F)
Known as "Beautiful Bamboo" from where it's native
Vigorous
Over forty feet high in zone 7 Alabama

?
NOT hardy to -10F but hardy enough that I propagated some for inventory. Slightly less hardy than a few others such as: Bissetii, Yellow Groove, Spectabilis, Harbin Inversa, Propinqua 'Beijing' form, Stimulosa, Virella

Similar hardiness to Atrovaginata, Parvifolia perhaps slightly hardier than Rubromarginata.

If I lived in western KY I would want Yellow Groove, Bissetii, Atrovaginata and Parvifolia for my green forms; Aureosulcata Aureocaulis, Spectabilis & Harbin Inversa for my yellow forms. After that if I had space and funds I'd expand the list considerably.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Spectabilis

Post by Spectabilis »

I have lots of yellow groove. My one and only Spectabilis died last winter while I still lived in MI.

I recently found a grove of yellow groove here in Clarksville, TN that was the largest Bamboo I have ever seen with my eyes. I couldn't believe it was YG, it had to be 2+ inches in dia. But sure enough when I got up close it had the yellow stripe on it. I will take pics next time I go down there. But it is on private property next to a park.

I wish there were more places to dig bamboos like Spectabilis and some of the others that Needmore mentioned. I don't mind the back breaking work.
Bryan