Looking for spares

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Looking for spares

Post by needmore »

I'm finally in a climate where I can grow Phyllostachys to maturity but alas am trade poor at the moment - anyone have any spare plants to be offset with future trades? I'd really like to try prominens, nidularia, violescens, nuda, robert young, lithophylla, unusual bambusoides etc? I don't even have any of the aureosulcata forms yet. I'm at my old groves for a day next week and will try to dig rare trade plants...try anyway.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Looking for spares

Post by Alan_L »

Would love to be able to help you repopulate Brad, but I only have Ph. bissetii and Ph. aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' available in pots right now. A couple of Semiarundinarias too. You're welcome to anything I have if you'll be passing through St. Louis...
needmore

Post by needmore »

Thanks Alan, I appreciate the offer, I'll be passing over St Louis this week but not through!
jd.

Post by jd. »

I've a surplus of aureosulcata 'Lama Temple' here after a relatively mild winter.

Brad, is this one of the bamboos that you're seeking?
needmore

Post by needmore »

Yes, that sounds great if you find a spare piece one of these days.
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

I have a small division of Varioauriculata if you want it.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Sure, that was one of my imports in 2005 but I don't have it out here.
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

Brad, I have Prominens and Robert Young in the spring if they both did something this fall. I'll dig around for Rhizomes before shooting in spring and either grab a few culms and rhizomes or Rhizomes and buds. Neither of them have done real great for me yet. They both still looking like small clumpers. If not I may just dig them both up and give you what I can and move whats left to a less competitive area.
needmore

Post by needmore »

zxylene wrote:Brad, I have Prominens and Robert Young in the spring if they both did something this fall. I'll dig around for Rhizomes before shooting in spring and either grab a few culms and rhizomes or Rhizomes and buds. Neither of them have done real great for me yet. They both still looking like small clumpers. If not I may just dig them both up and give you what I can and move whats left to a less competitive area.

zxylene - I appreciate the offer but I already have them both out here now. Until I own land again I think I'm done with the running forms for now.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Chk my plant list. Let me know what's on your hit list. Can give you most runners without trade or bucks (pickup or pay shipment). Clumpers will require trade or (low)bucks because of mortality rate and effort to propagate. Kind of interesting - nursery cans almost cost as much as plants. Dumps, recycling centers, etc now hold them for gardeners. Got several 10 gals for 2 bucks a few weeks ago. This is going to be a fantastic year to expand collections in California and NW because of early collection of winter rain. May collect total of last years seasonal rain by end of next week and may reach 70 inches of rainfall by year end. Rain plus warm temps will make for a blockbuster shooting season. Already see some runners shooting. Have tons of nidularia ad think I have litho that came originally from you. Rgds