Looking for any type of live bamboo in Ohio!

Moderator: needmore

Stealth111
Location info: 0

Looking for any type of live bamboo in Ohio!

Post by Stealth111 »

Hey guys I have been wanting to grow bamboo for years and live in the top of Ohio (Lorain area) and I really want to grow bamboo but I don't really have money to buy it I have all the resources except the boo so I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of any bamboo in the top part of Ohio preferably the top 1/3 to 1/2 of Ohio I need your guise's help all and any help would be appreciated!!!
Kyuzo

Re: Looking for any type of live bamboo in Ohio!

Post by Kyuzo »

I'm in SE Ohio. I've got 20 some varieties in the ground. I've also got some in pots in the greenhouse I could part with too. Any particular variety you're looking for?
Aquila non capit muscas!
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Kyuzo wrote:I'm in SE Ohio. I've got 20 some varieties in the ground.
Sounds like we need a report on what's doing well for you there!!!
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Stealth111

Post by Stealth111 »

Kyuzo wrote:I'm in SE Ohio. I've got 20 some varieties in the ground. I've also got some in pots in the greenhouse I could part with too. Any particular variety you're looking for?
Whoa wow!!! How can we make arrangements so I can come get some I am soo happy I thought I would never find any is there any particular time that you would like me to come?
Stealth111

Post by Stealth111 »

Oh yeah and as for variety I would prefer a form river cane preferably Arundinaria gigantea!!! But if you dont have any, any bamboo that grows fast and tall would be great :D
Kyuzo

Post by Kyuzo »

A report on how things are growing.... let me start by saying that the last two winters with their back to back polar vortexes have not helped! I have a number of varieties that can get big if not killed to the ground over and over. My two biggest are P. Aureosulcata Spectabilis and P. Aureosulcata. The Spectabilis just missed 30' high a few years ago. It's in a big oval in my yard and was beautiful. Now it's 12' - 15' with lots of floppy juvenile culms after being killed to the ground 2 winters in a row. If this winter is 'normal' (zone 6) it'll be back to size in spring.

I also have P. Rubromarginata, P. Aureosulcata Aureocaulis, P. Nigra Megurochiku and Semiarundinaria Yaahadake Kimmei. These ones all seem to hover between 6' and 15' depending on how winter goes (snow cover, wind etc.) I like the Megurochiku best out of this lot. It's one of the weaker ones but I love the color, form and weeping effect of it.

All the others are mostly ground cover/low growing varieties. Indocalamus Tessallatus, Pleioblastus Argentostriatus, Chino Kimmei, Distichus, Fortunei, Pygmaeus, Shibuyanus Tsuboi (new generation variegated & non-variegated), Viridistriatus, Pseudosasa Japonica Tsutsumiana, Sasa Palmata, Oshidensis, Veitchii and Sasaella Masamuneana Albostriata. Sometimes I leave these, sometimes I weed eat them; sometimes they over-winter fine, sometimes they bite it.

I also have Phyllostachys Lofushanensis on its first year in the ground (we'll see what it does) Fargesia Dracocephela Rufa (not impressed so far but it was a lot better before being top-killed two winters in a row) Phyllostachys Edulis Moso from seed (a joke here after 8 years, barely knee high) also Phyllostachys Shanghai III bursting out of a pot (I'll plant it out next year and see what it does) Phyllostachys Vivax Aureocaulis (super weak culms and top-kills every year but it's pretty anyway)

I also have a big chest-high Qiongzhuea Tumidissinoda in a pot that I absolutely love! I, with great effort, move and over-winter this in my greenhouse. It's a hassle but worth it in my opinion. I tried growing this in the ground in past years but was not impressed (even expecting top-kill). That's pretty much it. Hope that helps you all understand what various bamboos do in SE Ohio.

Almost forgot, I also have a tiny specimen of Arundinaria Gigantea. It's from a native grove in my area. The grove is STUPENDOUS! I've never seen Arundinaria that big. I saw some native groves in Central Kentucky to compare. The people who own the property said it's been there as long they've lived there. They live near bottom land. Maybe it's a remnant grove that's been there forever? Many years ago when I first got into bamboo this was the grove that got me started. The first divisions I took from this grove failed because I didn't know anything and blew it. Since then I got one division that survived and has grown weakly ever since. I'll never live long enough to see it equal the parent grove. I'd not recommend this variety. Unless old and established or in perhaps ideal conditions it alway seems to look like crap.
Aquila non capit muscas!