Typos in database

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Typos in database

Post by mantis »

I told you I'm bored.

Anyway, I've run across two typos in the Bambooweb database. One is for Bambusa textilis 'Dwarf' (in the database textilis is texilis). The other is for Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidovirens' . In the database the v and r in 'Flavidovirens' are reversed (it's listed as 'Flavidorivens').

I should really find something productive to do.
Markj
Location info: 0

RE: Typos in database

Post by Markj »

:D
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
millerlightman02
Location info: 46

Post by millerlightman02 »

Is there any job openings there?? :lol:
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Typos in database

Post by bambooweb »

mantis wrote:I told you I'm bored.

Anyway, I've run across two typos in the Bambooweb database. One is for Bambusa textilis 'Dwarf' (in the database textilis is texilis). The other is for Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidovirens' . In the database the v and r in 'Flavidovirens' are reversed (it's listed as 'Flavidorivens').

I should really find something productive to do.
Thanks, I corrected those, but I did no a search on Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidovirens' and Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidorivens' and found that Bountiful Earth, Tropical Bamboo, Palm Beach Bamboo and Bamboo4u also have 'Flavidorivens'.

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:
Thanks, I corrected those, but I did no a search on Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidovirens' and Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidorivens' and found that Bountiful Earth, Tropical Bamboo, Palm Beach Bamboo and Bamboo4u also have 'Flavidorivens'.

Bill
It's because they don't know Latin. :wink:

Virens in Latin means green. Flavid means yellow. Flavidovirens is yellow with green, which is what that bamboo is... yellow with green stripes.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Or, it is distinclty possible that the reach of your website is far greater than thought....

we could try changing the spelling of a few latin names and see how long it take for the rest of the world to adopt the bambooweb version..... :shock:
mantis

Re: RE: Typos in database

Post by mantis »

ghmerrill wrote:Or, it is distinclty possible that the reach of your website is far greater than thought....

we could try changing the spelling of a few latin names and see how long it take for the rest of the world to adopt the bambooweb version..... :shock:
Now you are just trying to get me in trouble. :laughing1:

I woke up my wife by laughing at your post. :oops:
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:
bambooweb wrote:

Bill
It's because they don't know Latin. :wink:

Virens in Latin means green. Flavid means yellow. Flavidovirens is yellow with green, which is what that bamboo is... yellow with green stripes.
Mantis,

Look closely. Don't you see the green bamboo with BIG yellow stripes! There's more yellow striping than there is green culm, but the green culm is still there with it's BIG yellow stripes! :lol:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

oops... sorry mantis.... I want to stay on her good graces so she keeps letting us trade plants :lol:

or is she like my wife, where the fewer bamboos around here, the better? :shock:
mantis

Post by mantis »

You two...

I think I'm going to stop posting in this thread before I end up on more people's s**t lists. :munky2:
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Re: RE: Typos in database

Post by rfgpitt »

mantis wrote:I woke up my wife by laughing at your post. :oops:
Who goes to bed that early these days?
Rick
mantis

Post by mantis »

Finally, after more than a year, and thanks to a friend who is even more OCD about names than I am, I now have the answer I've been searching for...

The source for all the trouble behind the Flavidovirens/Flavidorivens mix up was... :drum roll:... Ohrnberger's The Bamboos of the World

http://tinyurl.com/yevb5xp

8)