Chusquea in heat

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Chusquea in heat

Post by needmore »

Some references suggest that a couple form of the Chusquea genus can tolerate dry heat, I'm interested in trying but am wondering if anyone is having success in a low humidity, high heat area? My new area has 30-40 degree temp swings between day/nite but dry days in the 90's up to 100's are common.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
tallgrass

Re: Chusquea in heat

Post by tallgrass »

I have a clump of chusquea gigantia that has grown to about 4 feet in diameter. Here in the north end of the sacramento valley summer temps are at or around 100 degrees with some days over 110. this bamboo is planted under large shade trees and only gets filtered sun. Not sure about any of the other chusqueas but the cooler nightime temps in the placerville area should help.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Brad ,
Gib mentioned Culeuo may work. I plan on trying Cana Prieta after my wife calms down on some of the other spendy ones i just got :lol:
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
tallgrass

Post by tallgrass »

I had Culeou and gigantia in pots and all died. Even in the shade the pots got too hot and roasted the roots. I have the same in pots on the coast (the same climate as Gib) and they are thriving.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Yeah id think the pots may be to hot on the roots . Ive heard from a few people they do not like to be containerized either . Im at 3400 ft east of Placerville so I'm tempted to try a few under my pines and cedar
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

C. Culeou will do fine in low humidity and high heat in P'ville. Its the really cold weather that gets to them inland up here. They prefer the coast though, where they thrive from BC to BC. My C. Culeou croaked here at +7 F. last winter. Actually it held on through this summer, but it died when the heat turned up into the 90s. It very rarely gets into the single digits in Placerville, so all of the colder tolerant types of C. boos should do just fine there.
Happy trails...
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Ill be interested to try them here too. Id think they'd prefer the shade planted in the ground under the pines .
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

tallgrass wrote:I have a clump of chusquea gigantia that has grown to about 4 feet in diameter. Here in the north end of the sacramento valley summer temps are at or around 100 degrees with some days over 110. this bamboo is planted under large shade trees and only gets filtered sun. Not sure about any of the other chusqueas but the cooler nightime temps in the placerville area should help.

Does it have good color and look happy? And I should ask first if you provide it with much supplemental watering?
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I have several species of chusquea. Mine appear to like a sun/shade of 3 best. None like direct sun for a extended period of time. Experimented with gigantea and found a world of difference when I transplanted some in full sun during PM - burn, etc. Ditto sulcata and las vigas. Almost all my mountain bamboo do not tolerate extended sun even with evening cool-off. My Cana prieta are experiencing major burn on new culms as the sun shifts and they get more exposure. Many chusquea are vining and require support from surrounding plants like coastal oaks. Gigantea and sulcata are, in my mind, best of the litter. No experience with cool temps. RGds
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

fredgpops wrote:I have several species of chusquea. Mine appear to like a sun/shade of 3 best. None like direct sun for a extended period of time. Experimented with gigantea and found a world of difference when I transplanted some in full sun during PM - burn, etc. Ditto sulcata and las vigas. Almost all my mountain bamboo do not tolerate extended sun even with evening cool-off. My Cana prieta are experiencing major burn on new culms as the sun shifts and they get more exposure. Many chusquea are vining and require support from surrounding plants like coastal oaks. Gigantea and sulcata are, in my mind, best of the litter. No experience with cool temps. RGds

I have a few areas with good diffused lighting under towering pines. Just need to bring the water up there. My Fargesia Green Panda are burning this year in the sun. the ones in morning sun afternoon shade look great.
My Yushania anceps get a little leaf curl in the afternoon but no burn as well as my Yushania boliana . I'm keeping my Borinda angustissima in the shade and not chancing it :D
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
tallgrass

Post by tallgrass »

Brad, My C.Gigantia gets brown spots on the leaves after a few months, otherwise it is spreading nicely and lots of new shoots each year.This is the only Chusqea I have here and I don't see this on any other of my bamboos.
Attachments
20150925_104830.jpg
needmore

Post by needmore »

That has a nice green color at least, I'm seeing lots of drought stressed aurea here and it looks to be a pale green with tightly curled leaves.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

tallgrass wrote:Brad, My C.Gigantia gets brown spots on the leaves after a few months, otherwise it is spreading nicely and lots of new shoots each year.This is the only Chusqea I have here and I don't see this on any other of my bamboos.
My Borinda fungosa i got via the big Orange Box store was really bad like this. another 1500 ft elevation and some afternoon shade and you could never tell
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

needmore wrote:That has a nice green color at least, I'm seeing lots of drought stressed aurea here and it looks to be a pale green with tightly curled leaves.
its amazing people don't realize even a good deep water once or twice a month is all a established grove here needs to stay green
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Cooper12 wrote: My Fargesia Green Panda are burning this year in the sun. the ones in morning sun afternoon shade look great.
Interesting. I am at about 1200 ft. ele. and my Rufas (Gold Stem and Green Panda) do just fine in full sun here. The ones in the shade are not doing as well. We had a full sunny and hot California summer up here this year as well with near zero rainfall. My Far. scabrida and Far. robusta are also doing great in full afternoon sun. My new generation Far. natidas did not do well in any sun, so I moved them to full shade. Same with the Far. jiuzhaigous (type II).

My Chusqueas did the best with morning sun here. I never have to water my aureas that are in the ground here at all. Often times stressed boos in CA are just lacking either nitrogen or iron.
Happy trails...