Spectabilis and Yellow Groove mix or not.

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mikes
Location info: 0

Spectabilis and Yellow Groove mix or not.

Post by mikes »

I'm thinking of using either yellow groove or spectabillis for a privacy screen and was contemplating maybe mixing the two. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or if it might not be a good idea. The bed I've prepared is one I used to grow peppers for years and is about 40'*6'. I'm leaning towards the yellow groove if I have to pick one. I had planned on using nuda but now I'm going to plant those in another area where screening is not that important.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Spectabilis and Yellow Groove mix or not.

Post by needmore »

I'd vote for Spectabilis but a mix could work, though if mixed for my eye I'd have an ongoing task of selective culm culling. That might be a nice task to have. Check out the Spectabilis photos on my website, the grove from a distance is more eye catching I think than YG.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

I have made a mixed border of green ,yellow and black bamboo to get a contrast in colour , they should mix well ,have you thought of mixing some black bamboo with your yellow ? If not your 2 should mix well
needmore

Post by needmore »

Black bamboo will not grow in Mike's area unfortunately. Well, it will grow but it will be green all year, then be killed back by his winter temps turning it tan, then new green in the spring - does not get a chance to turn black.
mikes

Post by mikes »

I think I'm going to try mixing this http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostach ... versa'.htm
and spectabilis.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Could be interesting, for me the Inversa produced tons of culms and spread nicely, these two look similar save for the green stripes on one.

Not that you are considering it but I'd advise avoiding the straight Harbin form, it is a weird bamboo. Quite beautiful new culms but not so hardy and mine never produced new leaves in the spring so any winter damage never would recover. Other website also call it 'fussy'. The inversa is quite n ice though.
mikes

Post by mikes »

Actually I had debated using it, but seeing it rated for zone 6 when most of the related species are rated for 5 gave me pause. I'm going to spend the weekend prepping another bed and trenching then I'll order Monday.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Someone is pretty optimistic in their ratings, by 1 zone anyway. I'd say 6 & 7. but that is here in the land of cold salt air and low light.

Brad is correct that the P A "harbin" is a weak plant. I paid big bucks years ago for a couple when they first came out. Any other P aureosulcata would have been all over the yard by now, but the surviving harbin is huddled in a sheltered spot barley hanging on.