Is this Bambusa oldhamii?

Moderator: needmore

LA Bamboo
Location info: 0

Re: Is this Bambusa oldhamii?

Post by LA Bamboo »

All of my oldhamii were purchased from Old Oaks Nursery in Florida. They are upsizing even faster than I had hoped. All were purchased as one gallon plants, and the first were planted early May 2016. In just over a year the first two planted have culms 16-18' tall, and one just pushed up a new culm which should hit 20'+.
[imgImage][/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]Image[/img]
Image[/img]
The Guardian of the Grove had to get in a shot.
LA Bamboo

Post by LA Bamboo »

Why does my first image always post properly, but subsequent images in the same post give links? I'm sure it's user err, but unsure of what I'm doing wrong.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I have no clue on your image posting issues, I've never tried to link like that, I generally open the photo on the host site and paste that url into here in between the img syntax thing above, yours has the additional url and img embedded and I'm not familiar with that but it might be fine.

In any case your photos look very much like mine that I am skeptical of so perhaps mine is just a juvenile Oldhamii and will look like my other one in time - I assume you have a solid ID on yours.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
LA Bamboo

Post by LA Bamboo »

Everything matches up to my untrained eye...shoots, size, culm sheath, growth pattern and I was assured by Old Oaks that their Oldhamii was ID'd properly. If I didn't have so many of them, I might have never had this trait manifest. I've been extremely aggressive with dividing a couple of plants, and am seeing it more now that I have a bunch of very down-sized plants. Hopefully someone who has had large numbers of these when they were small will notice the thread and comment.

Did you notice if all of the bamboo at Lowes labeled Oldhamii had zig-zags?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Lowe's only had 2 pots and they looked different from each other, the one I did not get looked more Oldhamii like. At home I put mine next to a pot I'm sure is correct and they look different, there was a bit of zig zag on the proper one smallest culms only though. This new one I can tell has produced multiple shoots since being divided but it has not sized up. My proper one has sized up materially each shooting flush.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com