Phyllostachys atrovaginata (incense bamboo) question

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bamboo123
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys atrovaginata (incense bamboo) question

Post by bamboo123 »

Hi,

I have some new Phyllostachys atrovaginata (Incense Bamboo) and I noticed that in winter, on most of the plants (it was record low teperatures), all the leaves are yellow (not a green leaf in sight on some of the plants). Other plants have some green leaves, but many yellow. Will the plants die or will new stalks grow? (I'd hate to lose the plants, I paid quite a bit for them. The American Bamboo Society says they're hardy here)

Thanks.
wolfedg

Re: Phyllostachys atrovaginata (incense bamboo) question

Post by wolfedg »

This has been an unusually harsh winter for many of us. Generally I would say most phyllostachys will come back, just with reduced vigor, but yours being new plantings are sort of a wild card. It all depends on whether the plants were able to establish enough of a rhizome system to weather the weather so to speak. You will likely just have to wait and see. I have some aureosulcata thats in the same boat so we'll see when spring comes around. If they do recover it is likely the old canes will not releaf on such a young plant in my experience, and you should look for new shoots in the spring to replace those lost.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Not sure where in Indiana you are located but north of I70 it is unlikely that Phy atrovaginata will do well. I used to operate a bamboo nursery in Brown County and my Phy atrovaginata was the largest bamboo I grew having sized up after a few milder winters but it would dieback at times and never regained that size.

From Bloomington south it should be a pretty nice bamboo.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bamboo123

Post by bamboo123 »

I'm just northeast of bloomington by a few miles, some of the people in my neighborhood have large bamboo hedges that are as tall as my house, so I'm pretty sure mine will come back.
They were planted in very early spring 2017. All but one bamboo had sprouted 3-5 canes throughout the summer and looked very healthy. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks.
bamboo123

Post by bamboo123 »

Yes, I live east of Bloomington so I think the bamboo should be hardy, since I see it listed as hardy on several bamboo websites too. I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see. I will update the topic in a few months if I see any growth.

Thanks.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

If you are NE of Bton then you must be near my groves in Brown County, check out needmorebamboo.com if you are interested in photos.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com