Indoor Moso

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

thebambooguy
Location info: 0

Indoor Moso

Post by thebambooguy »

Hey everyone, I started some Moso Bamboo from seeds last year in the spring and they were still fairly small so I decided to keep them inside for the winter but they're not fairing to well.
Is there anything I can do to make them survive until its warm enough to put them outside?
mshaffer

Re: Indoor Moso

Post by mshaffer »

Are you using a grow light? What kind?
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Lots of light but don’t burn them. Also don’t drown them. Lights need to be close to give off the needed rays a moso needs. I use the sunblaster T3 6500 and they work good.

I have just started some moso ‘songming’ seed and they are up and growing well under those lights. I’ll try to give you and update in the future k.
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

Well... I'm using a little coiled florencent grow light... I can't afford to run a huge powerful light right now.

Thanks, if my Moso die I might have to get one off you.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Sounds like that is exactly your problem. Those regular 28watt flourescent coil bulbs do not have the full spectrum required for moso seedlings to have proper photosynthesis.

Do you have any windowsills? Its best to have south facing ones, but east and north facing would still work better than a cfl bulb. Moso is a temperate species adapted to relatively cooler conditions, and outdoor light. When they are brought into a heated house with limited light, they are bound to suffer.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I would offer you some of mine, but you're pretty far away, and I don't know about my shipping skills.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have been experimenting with LED lights, fluorescent lights and just keeping my plants outside.

Moso is a hard negotiator. It will struggle indoors and it doesn't really make a difference if you give it more light, pamper it or do some sort of witchcraft ritual, it will suffer during the winter if placed inside. I have tried dozens of Moso seedlings, and the only one that made it really well is the one that escaped the pot and started growing in 'the wild'.

I have had very good results with Phyllostachys arcana (Luteosulcata parent), seedlings, but as far as it goes, it seems they prefer being outside. I hope weather doesn't get much colder.

Most of Phyllostachys bamboos indoors are pain in the rear. They need a dormancy period and hate the indoor conditions. You can grow them inside during their first year, but they soon start showing all kinds of isses.

So fare, the only good Phyllostachys baboos I've had were thse, planted outdoors. Intentionally or not. :)
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Here some edulis ‘songming’. They are about two weeks old now.
Attachments
C9E504A2-D407-4A97-B3F5-35DF1A872417.jpeg
C103A897-FE4B-4DC5-A9FE-244C02700743.jpeg
E645DBDD-A369-4156-B545-9CF2268B88F6.jpeg
Deane

Post by Deane »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:Here some edulis ‘songming’. They are about two weeks old now.
I see you have a white one like stef has had come up
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Albino seedlings are quite common for bamboo. I've had plenty when I grew them from seeds, but none of them would last more than a short period of time, until it depleted the energy reserve stored in the seed. I tried quite a few things to prolong the life of such seedlings, with no apparent success.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

you can get a full spectrum plant bulb very cheaply. They work good.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

thanks for the replies. I think I'll move them to a south facing window and put a grow light on them as well, best I can do right now.